The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm checking out wet/dry filters. I also want a Protein skimmer. Does anyone use one from these guys or know about them? Is their stuff any good?

QuickView
Hawkeye Rapids Pro RP3 Wet Dry Aquarium Filter System
$224.99

Includes everything you need to deliver unsurpassed 3-stage filtration (mechanical, chemical and biological)
Overflow box automatically stops back draining in the event of electrical loss
Includes all hoses, filter media & submersible pump 700gph
Protein skimmer with pump & venturi system

Our advanced filtering system makes it simple to maintain an aquarium while enjoying a stunning underwater environment for years to come. You may not know the first thing about maintaining a saltwater aquarium and the beauty is with the Hawkeye Rapids Pro system you don't have to. The RP3 supplies optimum and efficient filtration for saltwater aquariums, engineered to deliver unsurpassed 3-stage filtration (mechanical, chemical and biological). This large capacity filter provides superb water movement, consistently processing waste and impurities so the aquarium's water quality remains ideal, all-the-while keeping the aquarium water crystal clear and your tank inhabitants healthy. Includes Bio-Balls to increase benefical gas exchange. Sintered glass bio-cylinders provides optimum biological filtration.
The overflow box efficiently removes dissolved organics and other waste material down to the filter where these contaminants and other impurities are removed. The only patented overflow box to deliver automatic filter stop and start in the event of electical power logs. This feature disrupts aquarium water flow and prevents water from draining back down into the filter sump, subsequently preventing flooding. The multi-directional return nozzle is easily adjusted to promote optimum surface water movement, increasing beneficial gas exchange and keeping waste material in suspension until they are removed via surface skimming to the filter. Adjustable skimming gate included, allowing for optimum aquarium surface skimming. The powerful submersible pump delivers 700 gallons per hour of flow rate. Designed and engineered to consistently produce high flow rate with low heat emissions and quiet operation. The submersible pump is a work horse providing years of reliable operation.

· Reefaholic
2,738 Posts
What kind of tank are you aiming for?

Typically (especially reef tanks) wet/dry filters do more bad than good. They might be OK in a fish only tank, but only if there was no live rock. Even that is questionable though. All they do is trap detritus in the bio-balls and cause it to break down fast from the trickling. Besides... you could build your own (better) sump for a fraction of the cost. You would even have somewhere to put your protein skimmer :) You don't really want a HOB skimmer.

· Registered
319 Posts
I agree with everything modulus said except for the skimmer. wet dry filters are nitrate factories unless cleaned frequently. a sump with skimmer is the best way to go, but hob skimmers can work. due to severe back problems I can't have a sump. I have a Reef Octopus hob on my 120 gal. fowlr and it works great.

· Reefaholic
2,738 Posts
I did not mean to make it sound like they dont work.. in-sump skimmers are typically more efficient though IME.

Building a sump is a lot easier than it sounds. There are plenty of videos on YouTube if you decide to go that route... and you can always ask here :)

· Registered
110 Posts
The Aqueon sumps are actually pretty nice if you want something you can buy off the shelf and run about the same price as what you listed. I had the #2 configured as a refugium on my last tank and dont have any complaints.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I've seen there is no way in hell I could do this by myself. Guys I'm very new to this. I looked up the sump u are talking about. Yes the sump is the same price but it has nothing so how is this cheaper? I would have to buy a skimmer, pumps, and ect. The skimmer alone could cost me as much as this whole unit. Unless u know of some place cheaper? If u do please tell me. This unit has everything. How often would I have to clean the bio balls?

· Registered
110 Posts
Not sure what size tank you're planning on running but I no longer use skimmers. Good husbandry will mitigate what a skimmer provides however, with large tanks things like large water changes become much more cumbersome. If you're looking at a setup <= 60 gallons, you could eliminate the skimmer without adding a significant amount of labor on your part.

The Aqueon (just an example, it can be any sump) with a hang-on overflow box (or better yet, a drilled tank) will set you up for success in the future. In reality, you dont NEED either to have a good healthy tank.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting a 55gal tank. I am very confused now. A sump is just a tank or something that will hold water. You can put Bio balls in a sump which you are telling me is bad. These sumps can be set up all different ways from what I've seen so far. I wouldn't know what to put or where to put it. How much water would I have to move gph? How would I make sure if the power went off water wouldn't be going all over the floor? What size tank would I need? ect ect

· Registered
110 Posts
A 20g tank would be sufficient. If you use live rock in the display tank (DT), there is no need to run a "filter" as the organisms living in the rock do all of the filtration for you and look nice while doing it.

A simple effective setup is to create a sump with 3 partitions. Water flows into the first and subsequently flows over some chaeto (a type of macro algae). From here it can flow into another chamber that houses a skimmer and/or your return pump. You can have glass partitions cut at a glass shop and silicone them into the 20g tank on your own for very little money. Search the forums, there are tons of simple DIY setups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.