The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 50g sump/fuge. sump is bb, with 2x55W 6.5k/10k bulbs over fuge section about 10" off water. my 210g drains into first section through a carbon bag, then generally to my schuran skimmer, then PO4 Reactor, then another reactor for gac, then the fuge section.

i have a small amount of other algae growing in fuge, but have not been able to keep any chaeto or red graci. alive.
Graci usually turns white and a little brittle within 2 weeks and chaeto stays nice and green for about 2-3 weeks , then takes another 2-3 weeks to turn white and almost disintegrate?

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
The first thing I'd look at is where it is in the "processing line". Unless you feed alot and regularly, I'd think that most of the nutrients are being removed, filtered or tied up in carbon/resins so that very little is available to the algae once the water gets there. IME, it is very important for the algae to be able to "suck" nutrients from detritus. Most growth forms of macroalgae are very efficient at trapping detritus/organic matter - and that's not a coincidence. If you're filter-socking the water before it gets there, taking out the phosphate and also skimming....there's just not much left for the algae.

IMO....

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just the middle 40% of a 36"x18"x20" 50g Breeder sump. The sump/fuge is BB, but my display is 5" DSB....

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dosing iron? I thought iron was horrible for sps and clams?
I don't want to add something just to grow macro if the reason it will not grow is due to limited nutrients(that seems like a good thing to me?)

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tiny bit of hair algae, thats it. Just a couple patches on walls of the fuge section, like 4-6 patches about 1" square. Only algae in display is film on glass every few days or so.
thanks for help :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why would you think that? Plenty of people dose iron. Actually alot of them are only happy when they see some precipitation of iron in their tank's.

It's going to make you're macro grow and that's going to reduce you're nutrient's wich is a good thing.

·
Registered
363 Posts
E-A-G-L-E-S said:
I don't want to add something just to grow macro if the reason it will not grow is due to limited nutrients(that seems like a good thing to me?)
I've yet to see a tank with a sand bed where N and P were limiting. By dosing the iron, wich is limiting, it will allow the algae to consume N and P that it would otherwise not be able to use.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
What kind of PO4 media are you using? If it's of the ferric oxide variety, I'd think that would add plenty of iron to the water - in fact, iron O.D. from phosphate media is a very popular thought behind why folks have had so much trouble with those types of media and bleaching corals.

I never needed to supplement iron in any DSB tank in order to grow macro, but I know some do. In the end, if you aren't having any nutrient issues, why struggle to grow macro? From your description of your system, I think you have plenty of capacity to remove (or sink) nutrients without it. That's also another thing to consider - if most of your detritus is ending up in the sandbed or filter sock, it's simply not very usable by the macro in either case (assuming you keep the sock clean).

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
If you are running a Fe based P binder, P will be limiting.
Not because you have no P in the system, but because it's in a form that they can not use or you can measure.

Chaeto is a sign of highly P polluted water and is a big problem in a lot of areas in the NE in the summer.

While we're on the subject, how does growing algae reduce nutrients to a level that algae won't grow??

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've alway's thought the bleaching was due to people using too much too fast and causing a quick change in the P level.

I didn't say untill it wouldn't grow, but if the limiting factor is iron and not N and P then it would have a chance to lower N and P further with the addition of the iron. And I just can't see N and P limited in a tank with sand.

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tank is almost always "0" in nitrates and "0" in PO4.......salifert kits(i know PO4 is still there just doesn't come up on salifert test)

i use PURA Phoslock for PO4 removal

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Mike O'Brien said:
I've alway's thought the bleaching was due to people using too much too fast and causing a quick change in the P level
Nope, but adding iron to fast will cause corals to bleach. That's what's happening.

He's a one eyed, three legged, border collie with advanced typing skills. ;) LOL

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
All this talk and I haven't heard mention to what your light is for your growth... ah yes you did, but 10" off the top sounds a little high, however I use micro filtration to my entry and have great growth of my cheato. But I have it very well lit and the light is about 3-4" off the surface.

·
Enabler of husky fish
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
?? so what does that mean? if it is already poutting iron into tank then why would i want to dose more? Are there non-iron based PO4 removers out there? If so, are they as good in removal?

thanks - matt

1 - 20 of 117 Posts