The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I reserved a 29 gallon tank at my LFS. This Guy Mike is going to drill it for 15 $.

once I have the hole, what do I put in it do I can attach my 1" flex hose?
A standpipe? How does the standpipe go leakproof into the hole./ what do I use/ how?

The overflow its self- I need info On how to make it. The overflow will be one of those acrilic boxes and willl be in the center of the tank. A center 3 sided.

What do I use, how do insure the right flow rate, do I use silicone? Where Do I buy that blue acrilic? Can I just order a 3 sided overflow and silicone it in? where can I get one?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
You will need a bulkhead to make a water tight connection through the glass. Attach your pipes to the bulkhead. Do a google search for Durso standpipes for info on how to DIY a standpipe.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hng said:
You will need a bulkhead to make a water tight connection through the glass. Attach your pipes to the bulkhead. Do a google search for Durso standpipes for info on how to DIY a standpipe.
Is a bulkhead like a standpipe?
does it get siliconed in?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the flow rate of the overflow.... like the one hnng uses in his build thread.. an internal overflow.

ok so no adhesive is nessessary with the hole, but in a bulhead, attach a standpipe, connect flex hose an wlahha!

ok what about the iternal overflow? Where can I order a blue acrilic one. Hnng where did you get yours?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Do NOT use silicone on the bulkhead. If installed properly, the rubber gasket will keep it from leaking. Hand-tighten... Don't overtighten the nut. The rubber gasket should preferably be on the wet side of the tank, but CAN also be used effectively on the dry side as well. However, the rubber gasket must ALWAYS be opposite the nut, otherwise you will pinch the gasket when tightening the nut.

Check this out too: http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79283

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I have the double slip bulkhead on my tank. I like the idea of the threaded on the water side and slip on the bottom, so you can remove the standpipe and work on it if you wanted to. It depends on how much you like to tinker

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
also if you go to reefcentral.com they have a link to a drain calculator on the left hand side of the page which can give you the recommended flow rate depending on hole size. I think its 600 gph through a 1 inch hole. I dont have access to that site here at work so I cant say for sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts