• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't have RO

Votes: 7 14.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
I do it like 1 time a year for the heck of it, usually though everytime I see TDS I just swap out the filters and not the membrame and it is good.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have changed mine in the past, about every 2 years when I was making up lots of water, I was just thinking that we talk about the DI, sediment filter, carbon filters all the time and changing them but never the Membrane,

I have been thinking about dropping the Ro and going to just DI unit, I have used water from a commercial DI before at Kristine's work and like the idea of water on demand. Full pressure and flow

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
I changed mine once, Before deciding to go straight DI you want to see what your source waters like, it may load up DI quickly :(

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
My TDS has never been anything but 0, so I've never seen any need to change any of the cartridges in the 2 years I've had it. I don't have a big tank now, so it's probably just not been used enough.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is usually recomended that you change out your flow regulator when you change your membrane. this is really advisble if you buy a different brand membrane.

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Yup.
Membrane about every 3-4 yrs, regardless of TDS readings,and pre and carbon every 6 months.
DI changed when TDS goes up from regular RO readings.
I'm on a well, and use RO for drinking/cooking(people and all the critters here, canine and avian) so i might be going thru a bit more than most others.
Top off(FO tank)/non tank use RO=5-6 gallons a day
DI topoff for the reef tank=3 gallons daily
Plus W/C made @ 34(DI) + 55(RO) gallons at a time(prob every 3 weeks)
FYI/FWIW

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
My TDS has never been anything but 0, so I've never seen any need to change any of the cartridges in the 2 years I've had it. I don't have a big tank now, so it's probably just not been used enough.
You might want to sneak a peek at your sediment prefilter, it might scare you

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
You might want to sneak a peek at your sediment prefilter, it might scare you
I did that once,(and for chuckles , tried to flush it out to see what it grabbed)
:eek: That was enuf for me :arg:

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I change my membrane out every year at least, we live in a very hard water area, and even the flushing membrane kit doesn't help much. When the TDS starts going up to 5 and 8, that's my warning to get it changed! Expensive little things though.

HHC

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I changed my filter once, but that was to install a higher capacity membrane. I went from a 35 pgd to 100 gpd - big difference. Carbon block and prefilter get changed every 6 months or whenever I remember.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Once a year on everything but the membrane....I haven't changed it yet, my TDS is still good. I flush for about 15 minutes after making water.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Depends on where I have lived .. some places have pretty lousy water quality and depending on tank size you may need to switch out often .. other places have great water quality and you may go a very long time.

In Portland the water quality is better before RO than some cities after RO ... as such my RO filters last a LONG TIME.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts