Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;
I have my new RO unit ready to go! After I get the water purified
Do I need to add a buffer?
Trace elements?
Chlorine remover?
How much water should I change at once? I'm trying to get my nitrates to drop but don't want to over do it.
I have a 150 and I use oceanic salt.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Patrick:blob:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim ,everything looks great except the nitrates 40-80 ppm

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
probably already knew this...but toss out the first 5-10 gallons your unit produces. Some of the processing/storage material/chem's in the chambers needs to be flushed out.

Ditto comments already. shouldn't need buffers.

and 10-15% every other week sounds perfect to me!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Vince and skeety! I didn't know that about the first 5-10 gallons. Hopefully between the water change and top off water I will see a drop in my nitrates soon.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
partobe said:
Thanks Vince and skeety! I didn't know that about the first 5-10 gallons. Hopefully between the water change and top off water I will see a drop in my nitrates soon.
Disgard the first 10 gallons of water produced. It may contain preservitive chemicals used on the membrane while shipping. The carbon block removes chloriens and you dont need to add anything but salt, and maybe a buffer after it is mixed warrented vy test results.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks John and Tim! The tank has been up for awhile since nov with everything from my fwlr tank. The RO unit I set it up yesterday I'm going to get a 55 gallon drum today for the new water to go in. I'm hoping to do a water change tomorrow or monday at the latest

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
partobe said:
Thanks John and Tim! The tank has been up for awhile since nov with everything from my fwlr tank. The RO unit I set it up yesterday I'm going to get a 55 gallon drum today for the new water to go in.
A suggestion- Stop using oceanic salt. Do you test for calcium? It is probably sky high- and alk low. Switch to a higher quality salt such as reef crystals or IO.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will do I thought it was one of the better salts. I will check to see if the lfs carries reef crystals

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
take a look at each brand of salt, some are higher in area then others.
each is a good brand.
how often were your feeding your fish before you decided to change over to a full reef?
a good cleaning of the tank and water changes along with skimming and you should get it down and gone very soon.
while you are at it , look at your test kits and make sure the are in date.
( just in case)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I moved in Nov and thats when i decided to go to reef I changed about 50% of the water at that time. I waited about 4 months before adding corals. I feed the fish 2x a day up until about a month ago. Now I feed the less and only feed them every other day

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
partobe said:
I moved in Nov and thats when i decided to go to reef I changed about 50% of the water at that time. I waited about 4 months before adding corals. I feed the fish 2x a day up until about a month ago. Now I feed the less and only feed them every other day
every other day is fine-- some people dont even feed at all in well established tanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts