The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have come across this forum a little while back and you all are great.
So I have decided to post here with the status of my new tank upgrade.
I picked up a 180 gallon from a seller here at the reeftank. Here is a photo of it from the previous owner.

I did not like the color of the the stain as it was to light (hard to tell in the photo) so I have been going thru sanding, restaining, and sealing. What a pain in the but!!! Has taken me almost 3 weeks to deal with but have now finished it. Will give new photo's soon.

I'm now in the process of installing the lights and had some question. I currently have 4 36" T-8 flourescents and 2-175w 10,000K Ushio Screw Socket metal halides. My question is it seems to be hard to find 36" T-8 Bulbs. Most I find are T-12.

What are my options here??? Stay with T-8 or do I have to buy new fixtures that will work with T-12 for better bulb options???

Also which kind and type of bulbs are best to get.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jetski6

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started looking at my fixture in a little more detail. Looks like T-12 will work in them also. So I guess the question is.

Get all new T-12 bulbs or upgrade to T5.

What all would I have to replace to upgrade to T-5??

I'm trying to say some cost, so would it be worth it??

Thanks,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is a update to the process.
I have finished the stand and hood refinishing. I have also gotten some friends over yesterday to put all in place. Now just have to do some plumming!!

Here are some photos of it. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Can't help with the lighting question-but wanted to say the sanding/staining came out really nice!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Stand came out really nice! I woud definitally upgrade to T5, but get the SLS (sunlight supply) retro kit, they are the ones with the great reflectors that make T5 worthwhile. Those hood things for T5 that have one single reflector are worthless IMHO, 1/3 or less light. Icecap reflectors beat the SLS reflectors by about 30% if you want to go all out.

What kind of corals do you plan to keep? If you are going SPS, and your tank is the standard 6*2*2 with 2 centre braces I woud go with at least 3*175W MH, or better yet 3*250. If you are keeping softies then the MH you have is probably just fine.

Whiskey

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VIV and Wisky, it was a lot of work. But it was worth it in the end once I saw it to. :D

Wiskey,
This is my 1st attempt at doing any corals. Probaly a decent mix, but mostly softies.

I hope my current lights will do it, at least for now. Maybe in the future will do more $$$$

·
Registered
108 Posts
The stand looks great! Good job.....really.

Jay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, had to put the project on hold for a little bit. But I'm not back on this now. I completed the pluming and have water tester it and all seems fine.
The problem is that I'm not really happy with the flow in the CLS. There just does not seem like there is anought flow. It is currently a little giant 2-mdq-sc which is about 465 gph. What would you all recomend to put in it's place??? Size???

Also what's the difference between a presure setup and a free flow system??
Which one do I need for a CLS system???

·
Registered
345 Posts
My 180 has a 1200 gph return pump and 3xHydor Koralia 4s for an additional 3600 gph.

4800 minus some head.
Welcome to the big leagues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The stain and new hardware look fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts