The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many, if any, of you guys personally know someone that sells aquarium equipment online. But could you ask them if they ship to APO/FPO address? And if they don’t, please ask them why? If they say due to them being international please advise them of the following.

For those that don't know, an APO/FPO address is a military postal address. These addresses are NOT international. When you mail something to an APO/FPO address it either goes to San Francisco or New York. The military then picks it up and ships it overseas. You (or the company) only have to pay for shipping to CA or NY; you do NOT have to pay international shipping rates. That is one major misconception that business owners have. The other problem business's have is they use only FedEx, UPS ect.. In order to ship to an APO/FPO address you have to ship it via the USPS. Most people these days can’t take time out of there busy days to make a trip down to the post office to mail something out.

The reason I am making this request is that I’ve been trying for the past two weeks to get a skimmer. I have been told by the two places that I have found this skimmer for sale, that they won’t ship it APO/FPO. The first store replied to my e-mail about shipping to an APO address immediately said that the box is too big to ship. When I advised them of the size limitations (130 inches combined length and girth) which I’m sure a 5x9x24 inch skimmer is way under. They then told me

"The box is huge and we don't want to be responsible for it if it breaks. The post office is a nightmare to deal with when it comes to shipping stuff out and handling damage claims."

This is a worthless excuse. IF something is broken, I will deal with the post office, not the person that mailed it. I had hopes with the second company, as I was told by several people that he would help me out. Nope, I got almost the same reply from him.

"We only ship via UPS…we don’t ship USPS…because they don’t treat our boxes well."

Again, I deal with the USPS on broken items, and I am more than willing to take the chance, due to how bad I need this skimmer.

But it doesn’t stop there, seems like every site I go to has "we do not ship APO/FPO." Normally I stick with marinedepot or Drs F&S, but sometimes another company have what I need a lot cheaper than those two companies. It's just so frustrating to know that the only reason these companies wont ship to a military post box is due to them not knowing the facts, or that they are just to lazy to get out of their chairs and do this little thing called "customer service".

Ok, my rant is done.. Thank you for reading it, and if anyone has ANY questions at all about shipping overseas to an APO/FPO address, please feel free to ask me. I've been living in Japan for almost 9 years now, so I have a good understand of mailing stuff to an overseas military address.

Bret

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry I cant help you with that, but why not purchase a skimmer from a store in Japan? I know Hong Kong probably has some great reef stores who would be more than happy to send you one?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hong Kongan said:
Sorry I cant help you with that, but why not purchase a skimmer from a store in Japan? I know Hong Kong probably has some great reef stores who would be more than happy to send you one?
Not that many fish stores overe here, and the couple that do sell equipment, dont have skimmers. And its not just aquarium equipment, there are many companies out there that wont ship APO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theplatypus said:
What about having a freind or relative buy it and then they can forward it to the APO/FPO address. Just a thought
Thats what Im having to do with the skimmer. But with having to do paypal transfers and the having to ask my friends or family take up there time to go to the post office, its not something I want to do. I could have had the skimmer by now, but its going to be a few more weeks before I get it. Would you like to wait months to get something you really need for your tank??

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My main goal with this post is mostly to just get the word out to as many people about companies not willing to ship to an APO/FPO address.

And I'm also hopeing that mabey some of your sponsors will rethink there policies on shipping APO/FPO, if they have all the information. And I'm more then willing to help any of them that wants more info on shipping APO/FPO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whoops...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Bret!

I am the web admin of www.bluezooaquatics.com we are able to ship all drygoods to an APO/FPO address. In fact, I'm a bit puzzled why people say that they cannot ship to them. Please feel free to PM me, e-mail me ([email protected]) or call me directly at 888-479-Blue.
I would be more than happy to help you out with your skimmer or anything else that you need.

-Brett

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haha, thanks guys.. It's my favourite saying

1 - 13 of 13 Posts