The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was looking for a fish today and I wandered into a place I hadn't been to in a while. They had a really cool looking anemone. A Hatian anemone. I was like wow only $20.00!!! I wanted to buy it, so I asked the owner of the store if it was ok to add to my reef tank. He said "sure, no problem" I said OK maybe I'll come back tomorrow. I came home and did some checking on the net. I am glad I didn't listen to that guy.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+630&pcatid=630

Taken from liveaquaria.com......"Although an Anemone requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Haitian Reef Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them."

· Registered
183 Posts
Been there done that. To be honest, After researching anemone's I do not recommend them in a reef tank at all. The majority of them move, have potent stings, and are hard to keep. The added food needed to feed the anemone's can lead to more waste int eh tank and more nitrates. I had a condy that up an moved very often. Lost some pretty stuff because of him. He eventually "moved" his little butt into my filter. I can't say I was upset.

· Registered
183 Posts
Flower anemone's are cool. I have one of them that has not caused a problem. Also, I had a curly anemone that hitchhiked. he has stayed put as well. Perhaps they are not all bad, but I won't risk it again.

· Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I have a huge condy (over 14") it has stayed in exactly the same spot since I got it...I have had problems in the past with nems wondering around...I think what I've learned is that getting the flow and lighting right and a crevice or hole where they can attach thier foot and feel "safe" goes a long way to having one start out "happy"...as for feeding mine only gets a chunck of food maybe once a week...all that said, they are a more demanding animal to keep, and I admire your ability to wait and do the research. :thumbup:

· Registered
200 Posts
There are generally two types of condys from the Caribbean. I had a "huge" one too. I collected it myself in the Keys from about 10 feet of water. Beautiful purple like yours and my maroon clown did host in it. It stayed put as long as it got fed regularly. The more common condys are collected in the grass flats in shallow water. These tend to move around a lot. they do host shrimp in the wild.

· Premium Member
11,973 Posts
This would fit in well with the Weekly Discussion on the use of the term Reef Safe. For some it is and for others it may not be. The Kracken has never moved, except for when I have picked up the rock it is footed on and moved it myself. Most would not consider it to be reef safe, then again even the experts were shocked to see pictures of my GSM Clowns hosting in it. :)

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
I've kept Condy's for years at a time without them moving. IMHO, healthy and happy anemones don't move. If they are moving all over the tank, something is making them uncomfortable. I also believe that Condy's are great beginner anemones. I started out with Condy's and they taught me alot. They are pretty hardy, and can handle some of the mistakes we tend to make. The host species tend to be a little more delicate. That's just my opinion though.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I've kept Condy's for years at a time without them moving. IMHO, healthy and happy anemones don't move. If they are moving all over the tank, something is making them uncomfortable. I also believe that Condy's are great beginner anemones. I started out with Condy's and they taught me alot. They are pretty hardy, and can handle some of the mistakes we tend to make. The host species tend to be a little more delicate. That's just my opinion though.
I think that EC makes a good point about them being hardy and therefore a good beginner anemone.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

What size tank do you have, and what kind of lights?
I have a 75g. With PC lites. 2 65w 10k's and 2 65w actinics

I have a hammer which I keep up high. It is doing great. 4 Kenya trees that grow like weeds. A BTA, but that's only with me a week. The BTA went into hiding, then after a day came out and has been in the same spot. It seem to be good too. Eating when I offer food and has pink tips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.