The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a long-nose hawk fish in a reef tank? I keep reading different things on the internet saying they are reef-compatible and some website say they are not. Anyone who has ever had one let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I have a Flame Hawk in my reef - small shrimp like cleaners and peppermints would probably be an expensive snack

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i have one in my reef
when it says not reef safe it mean non shrimp safe it woulnt touch coral (although it does like to perch on corals)
it leaves my coral banded alone

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for the info, a guy here is breaking down his tank and he had a long nose hawk fish. It looked so cool and I haven't seen them locally in jacksonville, florida. Is 25 dollars to much for it? That is how much he is asking, he said he paid 40 dollars for it when he first bought it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I loved mine until he jumped out of the tank. Apparently they are know jumpers. Anyway was a great fish never ate anything it wasn't supposed too including cleaner shrimp.paid $30

·
Registered
361 Posts
I hated mine and took him back.. They are bullies and will chase everything in the tank. also he bothered some of my corals cause he just rest where-ever they please.. Strongly suggest you don't go for this guy...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a Long nosed Hawk, cool fish, I loved his personality, very fun to watch...He will rest on anything, corals and such, may disturb them a bit, never hurt any of mine tho. He will also poke around the live rock looking for lillte critters, but anything too big to handle he will leave alone. And as stated above, he can jump out. Of course they all have there own temperment. HTH. Have fun.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Go for it, you will enjoy his addition to your reef. Dont know your set up, lighting aand/or canopy, but when I had my "aggressive" tank, I had achain link eel and just used egg crate to keep him from slithering out, still lets all the light in as well.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I love Hawkfish, both the long-nosed and the flame - I have a flame now in the reef and he doesn't bother any corals or softies, but will eat shrimp in a flash, so be cautious what you add after the hawkfish, if you get him. They are great fun to watch and have interesting personalities. None of my fish, who are all much bigger than the hawk, will bother him as the hawks are predators.....

HHC

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have one with 2 cleaner shrimp and he never bothers them or any corals and when guests come over he is almost always the one they think is so neat! Mine does love to eat cleaner shrimp when I feed my lion.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have any crabs or shrimps on my tank, just lots of mexican turbo snails. Are the hawk fish and blue hippo tang compatible b/c I eventually want to get a hippo tang but not sure if it would be compatible with the hawfish.

I only have two clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, orange-spotted goby, 10 mexican turbo snails and lot of softies.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This guy is moving and he has one but his is selling for 25 dollars and I kinda think that is a bit much. I was just trying to get some input on their personalities before I added one and regreted it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm not an expert on the species, but it is my understanding that the longnose is more docile than others...

The price looks good - Live Aquarium - $39.99 and Marine Center - $34.00.

We have a flame and though he is a cool fish, he harasses most of the smaller, bottom dwellers and got his nickname "Whiskers" by eating 3 peppermint shrimp (the last one we found an antenna sticking out of his mouth as if he was using a toothpick haha).

·
Registered
416 Posts
He should get along with those mentioned tank mates. He does'nt have a specific home in the tank, he will move and perch everywhere, he may chase off the occassional fish that intrudes on his perch but nothing that any other fish would'nt do. If he is breaking down his tank, offer him up 20 bucks, tho 25 is still pretty good, long as he is healthy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love my longnose hawkfish

My tank wouldn't be complete without my longnose hawk. He even eats those nastly bristle worms which is why I bought him. I have a reef tank and he doesn't bother any of my corals. Loves to perch on them but that is about it. I have 2 peppermint shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp. He hasn't messed with them at all. He even will perch on my finger. Great addition to my tank.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Yup, they can eat some pests, but that comes with a risk of eating other sessile inverts. As I recall, Marc (melev) put around 20-30 peppermint shrimp he collected along the Texas coast that his long-nose devoured. And as others have mentioned, they can sometimes be rather bold/aggressive, but overall an interesting and personable fish.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts