The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had it bagged and ready to take home today and then I asked (by chance) if it was possible that my hermits could get it....and she said YES.

SO I left it for another lucky reefer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah, maybe so. My buddy had a pair of catalina gobies in a 10 gallon that he had chilled down to 68 degrees.

So if not cold water, are they easy to keep? Do they pester stony corals?
Did a search and apparently they need to host in stoney corals to have a good chance of survival. They also can feed and breed off the corals damaging them in the process.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Panda Clown Goby is usually found among the branches of pocillopora coral colonies. They are a small stocky shaped fish with a very large head for their size. There are many different color variations of clown gobies, and this species is black, white and yellow. They are a peaceful fish that makes a wonderful addition to a reef aquarium containing colonies of polyp corals, as they enjoy swimming and hiding amongst the polyps. However, they may nip at the polyps of SPS corals. It requires a 10 gallon or larger aquarium with at least one pocillopora coral and some shaded areas for the fish to hide. It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but will fight with its own kind in smaller tanks. Therefore, it is best if it is kept with other docile species.
It is common for clown gobies to spawn in an aquarium. Caution should be exercised if the aquarium contains Acropora sp. or similar SPS corals. They will lay their eggs on the underside of the coral's branch, which will cause tissue recession in that area of the coral. However, under good conditions, the coral will regenerate the lost tissue.
The Panda Clown Goby's diet should consist of a variety of brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, table shrimp, and frozen food preparations for carnivores.
Approximate Purchase Size: 1/2" to 3/4"

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
the clown gobies live in sps in the wild... the panda gobie prefers pocillipora.

They tear a small amount of the flesh off the host to lay their eggs.

The gobies use the branches as protection - like a clown fish in an anemone.

I have not read that the pandas are any harder than the yellow or green.

They are very small and can be hard to get to eat. You need to make sure their bellies are full and that they have something to hide in in the tank.

My green clown gobie lived in the sump until I put the devils hand in there... now he hides in that and hasn't taken the flume ride to the sump since.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My issue was that it was so teeny she said the hermits could get it
I think I will go with a green

They are really rare to get in the store so I was excited about it, but the thought of the evil hermit eating him for dinner was just too much!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My issue was that it was so teeny she said the hermits could get it
I think I will go with a green

They are really rare to get in the store so I was excited about it, but the thought of the evil hermit eating him for dinner was just too much!
I think you made the right decision.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I just looked up the Panda Goby.... soooo cute, but soooo teeny! I love the green clown gobies, well, and the yellow, but the green are really cool... we have a bunch at the LFS I work every other weekend at... I am always tempted, but afraid it would get lost in this 180...go for it, Joanne!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.