The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much do you feed them? how do you feed them, and what kind of starfish do you feed them? ive read a few little things online but i'd rather hear from people who are actually keeping them. thanks --Erik

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have heard that if you get started early in deciding you want a harliquin shrimp you can get some algae eating Asterina stars and get them breeding in the tank. they are relatively small so you will need a good solid population of them before you get the shrimp. since Asterina's are algae eaters they are easy to breed and can increase numbers rather rapidly.

sorry, no real first hand experiences though.

G~

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, ive got no problem in waiting. my lfs has asternia stars but won't sell them because they don't have that many, but their tanks crash often enough i dotn really see that happening. anyone have some to sell?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh actually i geuss i'd want to know this too, will they eat brittle stars? i've got a fairly big one that i;d rather not have get eaten, but in then end don't really care.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice, thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I will also say that I have fed them legs only have they have taken them, I don't cut the legs off, LOL, But when You have many stars coming and going , you do have some that lose legs.

They can also go for sometime without a star to eat, not like you have to have one in the tank all the time for them,

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have a harlaquin shrimp.
i got it to control the mini starfish outbreak in my display.
it did a great job.
inbetween spikes in natural live food , i feed him chocolat chip stars.
5$ at the lfs , it lasts him a while.
if it gets nasty , i throw it away.
and the harlaquin goes back to the minis.

·
Registered
273 Posts
the harlaquin smells the star out before it even hits the ground.
its hard to shake the har. off.
tts pretty cool.
besides the harlaquins are beutiful.

·
11,345 Posts
Oh well survival of the fittest, and they are not even reef safe
Yeah, i dont LIKE chocolate chip starfish or anything, on the contrary my frist reef came with a couple and they sucked.........but not sure about the "survival of the fittest". Its kinda like throwing that harlequin in with a big trigger........not so much survival of the fittest but instead "lunch time". lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, we dont really think twice about brine shrimp, mysis, or pods. so meh. heh its nice that yoru lfs has stars for $5 the cheapest place i can find them is petco for $10. all the other lfs(es?) have them for $15-$22

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keeping my harlequin pair for 6 months. They grow fast and over 1" now. They take 2 wks or less to consume a large CCS and unlike the way other harlequins eating the CCS I heard of , this pair tears off the CCS in parts within a day then each one gets its one part to eat. The brown allegy shows up on the sand for 2-3 days then gone when most of the CCS consumed. I also heard that they will breed 2-3 times a yr., but my female hasn't show any sign of breeding yet.
I attached a pic, hope it works so you have something to look at.
Have a nice day all !

Attachments

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
intersting subject ! (i was going to bring it up soon but, done for me ! lol)

if anyone could give greater details like an entire thread by people who are Currently keeping them, with pics, maybe video of feedings & places to get cheap stars, it would help greatly as said before, not very many people actually keep these shrimps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
now all i have to do is find someplace that has a pair. any suggestions?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ka-bumb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts