The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? I'm going to order one with our still pending group buy:
http://sealifeflorida.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=121

I've asked on our club and at that "other" sites invert forum. They have gotten a good response so I'm going to try one. it's cute! Those big green stars scare me, I've read of them eating fish and I don't want that in my tank. The fat legged stars I'm just too worried about and serpents seem much more hardy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have been looking for one local for a long time with no luck. My friend has one and there just like and other serpent star.. Cool looking stars.. post a pic when you get one..

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's kind of a funny question... but can you handle the stars? Like can I reach in to lift it out of the bag... really dumb question, but do they bite? Told ya, dumb, but I don't know, I've never handled one.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Yes you can handle them!

But I am a wuss:agree: :rotflmao: and drain the water out and dump the star into the tank....or I net him out of the tank to move him if needed!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...but I want to touch it! *think Dory* :D
So, can I just lift him out and place him in the tank then? It's ok to touch the bottom of the disc, or should I try to avoid that? Just don't want either of us to have a bad experience!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
The LFS guys have just grabbed them however from what I have seen.........Just probably don't want to have it hanging by a leg:eek:

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
dont immediately tank him outta of the bag and into the tank, or the starfish will die from osmotic shock. he has to be carefully acclimated to his new home water parameters.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yeah, 4 hour drip acclimation... I'm all over that! :agree: I will never ever buy a star from the lfs that I got my seahorses from (and no more horses from him for that matter)... he told me flat out that there is so much ammonia in the shipping bags that the critters need to get out asap, so they float them to temp acclimate them, and then SPLOOSH! in they go!!! hehe, you should see the threads of rants about this guy... but I won't bring that here. His stars are dead the instant they arrive at his store anyways.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I cup my star in my hand anytime I have to move him. His spines tickle but thats about it. The worst thing my green brittle has done was fight the eel for food but he ended up loosing the tip of his arm! Hope he learned his lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts