The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... I'll try to get a closer picture... It's about 3 inches wide maybe 2 tall... Any special care or other ideas on what it might be? I can't seem to find a picture that looks 'exactly' like it... Is it SPS?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - i saw that picture online when you mentioned scroll coral - but it doesn't really look like that up close.. it's just one flat patch - but maybe that's how they start? also - the little dots are bright green...

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Its really pretty, whatever it is, and if he didn't charge you for it, a great deal too!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
the polyps look too far apart/large to be a Monti.. i am guessing that it is a scroll coral as well. PM aquawolf and ask him if it looks like his

·
Registered
679 Posts
It does look more like a scroll than anything else. Is the underside of the coral at all white. If not almost def a scroll. I have one that looks alot like it just mine is a lot more bumpy where the polyps are.

·
196 Posts
My first thoughts were something like an alien eye chalice....The flesh is a little smooth though. Whatever it is, very nice.

·
Administrator
46,739 Posts
here it is

Scroll Coral, Turbinaria reniformis

http://www.aquariumarts.com/turbinaria.html
Yeah - i saw that picture online when you mentioned scroll coral - but it doesn't really look like that up close.. it's just one flat patch - but maybe that's how they start? also - the little dots are bright green...
I have one in my tank and they start encrusting, then start growing to the light. yours may be something else but its highly unlikely to be a monti as the structure of a monti is different.
the polyps look too far apart/large to be a Monti.. i am guessing that it is a scroll coral as well. PM aquawolf and ask him if it looks like his
It does look more like a scroll than anything else. Is the underside of the coral at all white. If not almost def a scroll. I have one that looks alot like it just mine is a lot more bumpy where the polyps are.
Looks like scroll coral.
another vote for scroll coral. :D

G~
Well we all know what a ***** taxonomy can be, send some to Tom, maybe he can get a DNA run on it :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts