The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of these on there tank? How hard are Refugiums to maintain? More specifically can you just hang it on fill in full of sand rock and algae and sit back and enjoy perfect water, or do you have to constantly maintain the refugium or it can negatively effect your tanks water? What size refugium do you need for a 55 gallon tank? Also if you have pictures of your hang on refugium would be appreciated. Lastly does brand matter in refugiums?

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
I suppose you could, but why not just do a fuge? The wet/dry is really only needed for tanks without live rock. I have a wet/dry that I have removed all of the bioballs from, now it is just a sump with filter floss.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
If you have a wet/dry already, you can easily run both. I would place one next to your wet/dry instead of running a hang on back. You can split your return plumbing to feed both or use a separate pump to pump water into the fuge and let it flow back into the wet/dry. Here are some pics from my 75 setup before I took it down to give you some ideas. Keep in mind this is all crammed into a 48in stand so it is packed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
If I ever decide to do a refuge again, I will skip the sand and rubble rock and just use macroalgae. My 75 looked good but during the teardown that refugium nearly made me puke. I pulled out a 5 gallon bucket of cheato that stunk horribly. I didn't even mess with the sand and rock, it went right into the trash. The lower flow in a refuge makes it a settling area for nutrients and detritus. I would just use macroalgae and prune it aggresively. Here is a pic of the tank before the I got bigger tank fever. Sometimes I wish that I still had that 75 running.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts