The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well thanks to all of you folks I have officially gone into a spending frenzy in regards to my tank. Now my planned upgrade to the tank is becoming more and more involved. 1st I was just gonna replace the just lights, then it was the lights and the powerheads, then lights, the powerheads, get rid of the power filters, and replace substrate, then lights, powerheads, substrate, power filters, and add an additional spray bar to keep detrious off the rock, then getting a controller to monitor Ph, temp, and control flow... NOW....

I'm looking to get a hang on refugium. Does anyone else have one? If so how well does it work?

TIA

P.S. My wife is now demanding I get a second job so I can afford my new addiction! and to think I was thinking of tearing down everything and selling it off 4 months ago.:rolleyes:

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Welcome to the addiction....er.....hobby.....

I have a friend who has kept a running tally for the last 3 years of every penny spent on his tank. He keeps sending me bills.....since I was the one that turned him on to the hobby. Yeah, like I forced him to buy a house so he could upgrade to a 180.....

congrats on the refugium....

J.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, was just talking to my wife last night saying we needed to buy a house now with a fully furnished basement so I can build my dream tank. Along the lines of Mojos tank except in the shape of a "U" where the tank runs along the outside walls of the room... Makes me all tingly just thinking of it...

Less I digress...anyone actually have a hang on refugium?

:D :funny: :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran a hang-on ecosystem 40 model refugium for a while on my 46 bowfront. It was.... well, it was just OK. Nothing spectacular. Personally I thought it was too small for the tank, so I upgraded to my current sump style refugium which is about 13 gallons. I like it much better. My major complaint with the hang on style is that it becomes a pain when your water level drops. Since it used a small overflow box and a u-tube, as soon as the water dropped slightly, the pump in the refugium starts suckin air and pumping air bubbles into your tank. If you really keep up with replacing the evaporated water, then you should be fine. If you run a drip system or auto-top off that would be even better. I just gotta say that if you have room in your sump for a fuge, or if you don't have a sump yet... go with the sump style fuge. :beer: cheers.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone??

BTW, I don't have a sump or overflow...I'm gonna go with a DSB, skimmer, and plenty of LR.

Just looking for a good way to increase my volume and increase my filtration while also creating a safe haven for pods and macro-algae.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a custom made CPR 12" hang on that I was going to put on my 20L but due to budget problems I put it on my 90g. I have noticed my nitrates have gone down a little bit over the past few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts