The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Honestly, it looks dead/dying to me. You can see a lot of recession there exposing the skeleton (you shouldn't be able to see those white ridges). Brown jelly disease looks like that - the polyps melt into a brown goo. If you have any other corals in there I'd remove it and put it into quarantine as brown jelly is contagious.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The skeletal ridges are visible because it was after lights out and it had gone to "sleep" as usual. I only turned on the lights to get the picture. But just in case, ill keep an eye. Thanks .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should've been more specific.... were looking at the long brown tendrils that are coming from it, i initially thought they were some kind of long tentacle that i read they use for defend their space from other corals getting too close, but they detached after several minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
You still shouldn't be able to see that ridges like that even when it's "asleep". And I'm aware you were talking about the brown tendrils - as was I. What you are referring to are "sweeper tentacles that search for food and they should look like normal ones just longer and thinner. I still believe the brown you are seeing is decomp/disease...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive had it about a month, and it hasnt changed since i got it, during the day (so far) its completely normal and fully "bloomed out". Ill take a look at it after lights come on and post results.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
That it's extending during the day is good. With brown jelly it usually starts extending less and less until it's just little nubs that start melting away. Best of luck, keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Also, keep an eye on color. If it is expelling zooxanthelle it may start getting paler. What lighting do you have it under?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, here it is. A couple hours after lights on time and it looks healthy, fully bloomed, and no discoloration that i can see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised it opened that much. I'd never have guessed from the previous pics. I'm still worried about the exposed skeleton - mine sleeping look about like yours open. It does look a little pale to me though - you haven't noticed any color loss since you got it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts