The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bob
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more than two years of thriving, my hammer corals for the past couple days are not opening up full. I started with one three branch specimen, it grew to six branches and I broke a piece off giving me two three head specimens. These have each grown to six or seven heads and were looking just great until several days ago and they just stopped opening when the lights came on. Have checked all water parameters and they are all the same as they have been for a couple years, all other corals look just fine. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Bob
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have done nothing except normal water changes and a little cleaning for months. Here is a picture, the two heads were between 2and 3 times as large until a couple days ago.

Attachments

·
BB Reefer
193 Posts
My torch coral recently for no apparent reason closed up more and has very thin short tentacles. The only thing I can think of is when my acan closed up for a few days it grew more heads when it re-opened.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
In my experience, these Hammers can all of a sudden decide they don't like something and react like what you're experiencing. If it get really bad, you'll see them melt.

Make sure you check all your Parms.....unless you made a change in salt, SG, temp, I'm thinking there's something going on...Ph or Nitrates...

Good luck

·
Bob
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it will invite a bunch of scolding, but I do not clean/vacuum my sandbed at all. And, I do not recall any disturbance of it. Have checked all water parameters and nothing is out of line. The hammers do appear to be 'dead' but just not opening up full as they used to. They do open a little from their nighttime state. Phosphates and Nitrates are zero, Ca and Mg near proper levels, I am perplexed.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Phosphates are not zero, you have algae growing and plenty of phosphates takin up in organic form. Considering you have never cleaned your sandbed, on top of the algae growth you do have it very well may be a possibility that your sandbed has reached its nutrient sinking ability and your euyphilla are telling you its time for a change.

·
Bob
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sandbed is 2 to 3 inches. There has been no apparent algae growth for the past ten months when I installed my skimmer. If the phosphates are not zero, they are at least insignificant and cannot be measured.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with phane. My phosphates test at 0 and i have a cyano problem. They are still there just being hidden by the uptake of algae. If algae dies off and routine stays the same technically the phosphate level just rose even higher

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
If algae dies off and routine stays the same technically the phosphate level just rose even higher
Only if it was the routine that lead to the excess nutrients. The only way for the systems phosphates to rise is through import. When algae dies the nutrients from it can be takin up by just about anything in our systems, unless its exported. So if gou have dieoff a week before your water change, chances are most of the nutrients have already been seeked out, what the organisms and rock cannot uptake is what is left in your water that is testable.

If your water is reletively clean it does not mean your nutrients are low. A bulk majority of nutrients are bound up in the rock and sand as well as organic matter, ie bacteria, fish, coral, algae, cyano, dinos, fish poop, microscopic organisms, worms, even coral skeletons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts