The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50g tank with low-medium water flow. I wanted to colonize the rocks on the right side alongside withs some fragspawns in the future and reserve the spot on the sand for a blastomussa or elegance coral that I also want to get in a couple months. Do hammers thrive on rocks or do they explicitly need to be placed on the sand?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
They can do fine on the rocks, as long as they get proper flow - they should have good, gentle movement but not whipping around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one I bought is still pretty small and when I turn on my 1250gph ph as an addition to my smaller 250gph it gets beaten around like crazy and closes. If I keep the 250gph running I can see it moving around even though the pump is really weak. I'm not sure how much movement they really need.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If you are going to place the Hammer on the rocks make sure to secure the skeleton with some epoxy or super glue gel. (or a combination of the two) A Hammer coral tumbling down the reef slope is not good and sometimes when these things get damaged they take a turn for the worst. GL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts