The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what's wrong with my hammer coral. It has been in my tank for about 10 months and over the last month and 1/2 it has just been dying off. It used to be more than double this size then just slowly not opening up as much.
attached are some pictures.
No changes to lighting schedule, regular water changes. No changes in water or salt. No changes to tank inhabitants. All my other coral is doing well. I target feed all my corals with reef roids 2 times a week.

Tank is a 75g not drilled no sump, I run a aquaclear 70 hob, and a canister filter filled with live rock ruble rated for a 100 gallon tank, a eshopps 150 hob skimmer and (2) 540 power heads. Lighting is a Current Orbit 48-60" led light So it is the larger one leds go all the way across the 4ft tank. schedule is white sunrise for 30 min and blue sunrise for 30min 2 hrs after white comes on whites on 8hrs and blues the same. Sunsets the same.

tank levels are
salt - 1.024
ph - 7.9 or so I know its a little low but i have tried numerous ways to get it up and won't stay up
amonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
phosphate - .10
calcium - 480
kh - 179

Attachments

·
The Mechanic
606 Posts
I wish I could help but I have the same thing happening to my torch!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
My guess would be not enough light. I had to keep my euphyllia at the top 1/4 of the tank when I ran an Orbit. How far down in then tank is it? Second guess would be too “clean” of an environment, they like extra nutrients that you don’t really get in a 0 nitrate environment, but I would think the reef roids feeding would make up for that...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i got the hammer i got so much of it that i placed it in different parts of the tank since it was 3 or 4 branches of it. Most of it is in the middle of the tank. There is a couple other pieces of it that i had near the bottom and it was the first to die off.

Should i try adding zooplankton or phytoplankton?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I agree with chi on the lighting. Although not on the nutrients. Your not going to have phosphate that high with no nitrates. This is also evident by the algae growth on the dead stalks.

Post the specs on your light, model number and a link to it online if possible. Move the remaining stalks to a high point in the tank and dont take out any 'dead' stalks. When tank conditions are sufficient enough once again its very likely those 'dead' stalks will end up growing new baby heads.

And yes it can take that long for euyphilla to slowly starve to death, this same thing happened in my ex roommates tank

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Those heads that have died are oriented more sideways than upwards, yes? Euphyllia prefer gentle upwelling flow. If the flow is too strong they can cut their soft tissue on their hard skeleton.

Sometimes even slight changes in my flow pattern (cleaning powerheads etc.) cause a noticeable effect in my torches/frogspawn. I pretty much position my powerheads entirely based on my euphyllia lol. I'm leaning towards your culprit being a flow pattern it didn't like, probably combined with receiving less direct light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts