The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a hammer coral frag that I bought from a local reef store two weeks ago. I was kind of concerned because my hammer coral keeps on shriveling up and going back to being fully extended. This is a pattern that happens during the day and at night, however, at night it usually closes up. I don't know if I should be worried because the frag keeps on shriveling up from time to time.
The following water parameters are:
ammonia: 0
nitrate: 5
nitrite: 0
salinity: 1.024
temperature: 79 degrees fahrenheit
ph: 8.2
Salt type: Red Sea CoralPro Salt (contains needed calcium and magnesium for coral)
Tank mates: A Pair Of Clownfish, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and a Scarlet Hermit Crab. (No other coral)
Size: 10 Gallon Nano Reef

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand they close up when there is no light but even when there is light they tend to shrivel up often and not fully extend.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If it's closing during the day then something may be bothering it. Maybe the flow is too strong, or the lighting, or the clowns are trying to get it to host them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.... :cry:

Yeah and I made sure the frag was in low flow and the clowns never go near it. The water parameters are perfect and I don't see what is happening. This is what he looks like he is doing. Also, there are small mossy white spots on his skeleton and I don't know if they are just spaghetti worms or if it's tissues are hanging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an image of what he looks like right now. He was fully extended earlier in the day though :/

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I know that my alkalinity is at it's ideal mark because I checked it recently, however I don't have any calcium test kits but I know my calcium levels should not be a problem at all because I am using the coral pro red sea salt that contains the magnesium and calcium needed for my coral.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
it'sprobably still getting used to your new tank.
it looks healthy. give it some time. feed it some food when it's fully open.

J.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
will do, but how can he be healthy when he is fully closed up during the day and has white mossy stuff on his skeleton?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
If its on the skeleton it wont affect him unless something is in that white stuff and physically reaches up and tickles him. Even then he would get used to it after time unless the white stuff is predatory. 2 months is a rather short time to add corals, but its not so much the alk and cal levels you should worry about, as long as they are stable it will be fine. The problem is the bacteria isnt stable and thus their actions will make everythibg else flux that could bother corals. Oxygen levels, ph, alk, phosphates and more, all these things are constantly changing when a new tank is setup and the flux of bacteria population has alot to do with it. The fact that he even fully comes out shows he isnt too bad off. Corals will also close up if they have had enough light for the day, try lowering your lights to half of what they are set at now for a few days and see if he stays out all day.

Do you use any phosphate binding materials?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very very much for the information. I am currently using led lights with two heads that are not intentionally meant for corals, however I ordered an adjustable led light with three settings. It has day, off, and moonlight. Please let me know if you think I should use moonlight for the whole day and see if my coral responds to that. Are hammer corals fine with any led lights or do they need one with a specific frequency? The one I have right now can be set to half it's light so...

Here is what the tank currently looks like: http://imgur.com/qClqKtA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts