The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fed up with the colors, or lack of them with my 8x39w 10k t5's. Since I started the tank, I have used t5's. I get great growth, but the colors just don't pop like they do under 14k and 20k halides. Also, I have been able to debunk the myth that t5's do not heat up your tank, they definately do (until I bought a chiller :) ) Now I am looking at buying a halide hood gor my tank. I like options, but so far the only one I have is a coralife. I say this due to my tank being 46" long. The coralife will let you move the legs to almost any length for shorter tanks. Does anyone have any other hoods that may would work on my oddball 46" tank. Retros are out as I would have to build a taller canopy, mine is only 7" tall.

Paul

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Are you running all 10k t-5's. If so that is your problem. You need to mix it with actinics so you have a balance. Also what brand of bulbs are you running. I would not use anything other than ATI or Giesemann, both are from the same bulb manufacturer which is D and D bulb supply. If you read the 100 page thread on the "other" website you can find some good information, along with great bulb combination.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 2x 95 watt vho's UVI superactinic for supplimentation. I will play around with a few blue+ and actinics I have laying around again, but I am ready to throw in the towel. I may have to crawl up into the attic to see about hanging a pendant as well.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Wow, my t5s are overdriven by IC 660 under my canopy and they do not heat my tank past 80. I have a IC 400mm fan. My colors are great so far. Not saying you should not try the MH route. Anything is worth trying if you are not have good luck. Like John said, color combos works. I have uvl super acinic and super actinis white with an d & d plus x 2 and it seems to work. I dont even run a 10k white bulb, so to speak. Either way, I wish you the best, keep us posted.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have played around with 4x10k and 4xblue+ and even threw in a pure actinic (worthless). I am still ready to switch to mh. It would only cost a few cents more a month on a couple of extra watts of electricity.

Do the pfos legs slide in a little, or are they only on the ends?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get a suspended hood from aqua medic. I swear by them. I have a Ocean light right now, I like it better than the aquastarlite because it has t-5 supplements and a remote ballast "not so heavy" I use 14k phoenix lamps and am happy. Come by and check it out before you buy!

Dave

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Dave,

I need to stop by and see your setup as well.

And Mecold, John is right you need to purchase the D and D T5s. They are the superior lights and the only ones to use.

Patrick

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually have a few d+d bulbs. The reason I switched to all 10k is for growth. After playing around with all kinds of t5 combos, I still can't find the sweet spot for that 14k look. Came close, but not close enough. Another problem I had with t5's is I hate, hate, hate ordering replacement bulbs online. Yes, they make it here, but it would be nice to go and pick up a bulb from a store vs having to order and risk the headache of shipping glass tubes :)

I will have to come check out the aquamedic light. Thanks for the invite. Now to see if the wife can be convinced of the benefits of a light hanging from the ceiling.

·
Certifiable Tank Driller
378 Posts
If you go the MH route, I think PFO will build you any size fixture you want. Acroholic has a 5 foot fixture with 3 400w moguls and 2 VHO's stuffed into it over his 190 by PFO.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mecold,
I have the reeflux 1)400w & 2) 250W. They work great on my 125w, but a chiller is required.
Great growth & the corals color well.
Eddie

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am thinking now about getting a maristar. That or playing with my canopy alittle and getting a couple of roIII and a couple of the two bulb t5 ready fixtures by sls. Should work just as well as the maristar, same components.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bio Reef sells HO T5 bulbs actinics, 50/50 and 10K. Nothing beats the shimmer of a halide though and if you already have a chiller I would get at least one and put it in the middle using the T5's for supplement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts