The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i purchased a white and purple haitian a couple weeks ago for my 75 gallon marine tank. Water parameters are all good temp stays around 75 degrees. I have been feeding them every other day mysis and the formula one gel cubes broken in half. They seem to eat these just fine. Last night i bought some hikari frozen krill and they eagerly took them. This afternoon however i noticed both have expelled the krill half digested and the purple anenome is all up inside his mantle now. Did they even get any nutrition from the krill or did they just decide they didnt like them and spit them back out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Make sure you take the shell off of the krill. My BTA expelled krill after a few hours 4 or 5 times until I started peeling them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt it already peeled? Its frozen hikari. How do i tell if its peeled or not? They arent that big and kinda smashed up. Has anyone used this brand and had this experience.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea, I've used it and it is hard to peel it but if you rub it between your fingers for a couple seconds it thaws enough to just peel off the thin shell. Ever since I started peeling it my anemone hasn't coughed one up, and its been several months of every week feeding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My anemone about 6 weeks later looks dull and dirty. Do they lose color for some reason? His tentacles used to be bright white and almost clear. I understand they have symbiotic algae inside them but will it grow on their tentacles and dull them up? Been feeding mysis shrimp, chopped raw clam, and chopped raw tiger shrimp. Could it be not enough light? Dietary concerns? I didnt have any special lighting on him just a 40 watt t-8 bulb. Today i spotlighted him with a cfl bulb until he gets some t-5's and led lighting i will be ordering shortly.

·
Do you like fishsticks?
435 Posts
That bright white almost clear is bad, The after shot looks like a much healthier anemone. Browning up like that is a sign it has regained its zoozanthellae sp? most haitian anemones usually come white from the fish stores as they are stressed out and not kept in ideal conditions.

Atleast this is my understanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts