The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a frag of some hairy polyps/mush and just pealed the skin off the thin rock it was on...... now I got something the size of a cabbage leaf.....which will NEVER lay flat long enough to attach itself....I've got a maroon clown that is already trying to move it.

DO I JUST TEAR THIS STUFF UP INTO 1inchX1inch SMALLER PIECES AND STUFF INTO THE NOOKS-N-CRANNIES OF MY LR TO GET IT TO ATTACH ITSELF AND GROW???

·
11,345 Posts
What do you mean exactly when you say hairy polyps/mush????

From what you say i first think of hairy mushrooms......but your description of how you removed it from the rock sounds more like gsp.

??If it is gsp yes, but you will eventually be sorry for putting the stuff everywhere. Gsp needs to be confined and pruned or the stuff will NOT be your friend down the road.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for being igonorant.... but I'm NOT sure what it is....let me describe it:

when it was shown then given to me, the tentacles were not star-shaped but alot of single greenish tentacles that were flowing freely in the water....the guy told it it was "hairy-blah-blah-blah" and I didnt catch the "blah-blah-blah" part

now that I have it home I PEALED it off the thin rock it was on...and now topside looks like white'ish chickenskin with pimples and the underside is purple. I assumeit will take 1-2 days for the tentacles to start comingout again since I probably shock it by pealing it off a rock

·
11,345 Posts
Its gsp...you CAN simply tear it in pieces and stick and or glue the pieces where you want them.......but unless you plan on giving all of your live rock to someone you dont like, i dont recommend it. I like the stuff and think it is cool, but like i said before, confine it in large patches by itself and pay close attention to it and dont let it invade and hurt and or stunt the growth of other corals.
ABout a year ago i did do what you are thinking of doing. I put little green cool looking patches on the tips of all of my rocks...............i probably dont need to finish the REST of the story

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what you are saying is that it grows like crazy and will attack other corals?

·
11,345 Posts
Attack is a bold word...but it is invasive and becomes a problem if you let it get away from you. I fugure we have enough things to maintain without creating more........

it doesnt so much attack as it simply will grow over stuff. I unkowingly allowed it to grow over a few square inches of a large alveopora colony i had and it killed it everywhere it grew. That was the most extreme but in a lot of different places when i finally figured it out had been damaged.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll have my exacto-knife in hand....ready for the onslaught

1 - 10 of 10 Posts