The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a hair algae problem since my tank was 1 1/2 months old. my tank is now 6 1/2 months old and i really want to get rid of this hair algae! i pick it off of rocks, totally get rid of it off the sand, only feed fish once every 3 days a little bit, and all my perimeters are good yet the hair algae just comes right back up. my clean up crew is about 10 snails, 1 scarlet reef hermit, and an urchin. I really need to know how to get rid of this algae. I have heard about tank blackouts but i have no where to put my corals during the blackout time. Please help.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Corals will be fine with a 3 day blackout. I have only used it for cyano and have no idea how effective it would be for HA. Tests can only tell you the amount of free N and P, they will not read any N and P bound up in algae. If you have algae, there is nutrients they are feeding on. What kind of skimmer do you use and how often do you change your water? Is your light setup new? (bulbs get old and encourage algae). You may look at increasing your nutrient export through wetter skimming, more w/c or running GFO (like phosorb, a media that absorbs PO4)

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 29 biocube and i bought it brand new and since then i have replaced the lights so the lights are probably about a month old and i do a 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
You can look for a biological control (CUC) but that is still going to poo nutrients. If you pulled out a bit of HA and put it in a cup of SW and let it decomp, testing that water would give you an idea how much nutrient is built up in there. It sounds like you are already pretty minimal on the input side of nutrients. Do you run carbon or any media? Do you still have bio balls in the cube?

·
Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have tested my water for everything and it looks good but yea i do still have my bioballs in the cube, i really dont understand about taking them out? would this help with algae control or whats the point?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.