The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling hair algae for a few months now. I remove it and 2 weeks later it is back and even more.

Phosphates test for 0. Lights are only 6 months old. Did frequent water changes. Did most if not all of the basic things to stop it.

I have a RO only filter. I changed my RO membrane and filters and still have it bad.

I just got a TDS meter.

Normal water = 350
RO = 35

I just ordered a 4 stage RO/DI. Hopefully that will help.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly, that why I ordered the new ro/"DI". :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Casey he was running an RO only, so that explains a reading of something other than 0. Rob you should see some improvement with that RO/DI you ordered.

To give you an idea of the difference, when I had my tank set up at my appartment I had and RO only, I never had any problems and I tested with TDS and had about a 5ppm. Then when I moved into my new house (old house) about 2 blocks away, I started having alot of diatoms, and cyno....thought it was a cycle from the move so I waited...worse and worse it got, so I tested again with the TDS 45-50 after RO....so I changed RO and the BEST I ever saw was 35-40.

RO/DI is the only way to go IMO. I would do a good size water change when you get the DI

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rob_Reef_Keeper

What was the rejection rate of the replacement RO membrane? Even with 350 TDS supply if you got a membrane with a 98% rejection rate! That should have gave you a reading of around 5~8 after the RO :confused:

I ran into a similar problem with my Typhoon from Air Water Ice! Their standard 100 gpd membrane is only rated at a 90% rejection rate :eek: I was going through DI filters very fast. I'm going to switch to a lower flow & higher 98% rejection rate membrane! :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
sounds like you need a higher rejection membrane. I use RO only as my DI burns up too quickly since my water is so bad. I have been using this for about a year, I have no hair algae or cyano, and have noticed no difference from when I used Di to get down to 0. my tds from RO is about 15 or so.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hooked up the new RO/DI.

Straight water = 351
RO water = 35
DI = 0-1

I think I am going to burn through DI cartridges.

How long do you think the DI will last?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts