The Reef Tank banner
281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Administrator
49,207 Posts
Oh yes , I never ran Rio pumps because of the epic fail posting, tank crashing, etc. I have used Hagen 802 for a lot of years no issued=s. I have a few PH maybe Penn Plax or Coralife that would start in reverse when attached to early 90s on off wave makers

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
I've been looking Vinnie, and am ordering my 'insulated boxes' from them.......my next shipment I may look into their shipping as well.....see WHERE fedEx picks up, and get a quote. May be convenient. THANKS!
Hack
Good luck tonight! (y)

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
...... :unsure: ......hmmmmmm, seems like I outa post 'something' so I can find this thread easy.

The Tales of a Lazy Reefer.

There seems like there's different styles/approaches to keeping a 'reef tank'. There's those that bust their butts, and spend a fortune on the hobby, and there's those that 'not so much'.

DISCLAIMER

Some don't view 'softies' as real corals, and there are HUGE DIFFERENCES between keeping certain types of corals and what you can n CAN'T get away with. And I'm not arguing/comparing rights and wrongs.

From the beginning of my reefing journey, I strived to keep it a 'working man's approach'. Maybe not always 'low budget', but certainly not a money pit. Fought buying the 'biggest and the best, and latest trends n gizmos' in favor of what works.
I ran antiquated lighting, t12's, t8's and sunlight for years when t5's and LED's were all the rage. NOT SAYING they might not have been better, but it worked for me.

Fought getting a skimmer for years, and sticking to any kind of an 'acceptable water change schedule'. Loathed having a sump, when other's deemed them necessary.

But through my 'cheapness', laziness, and 'my own wayness', I was able to keep a tank full of softies alive and thriving......like crab grass taking over Kentucky Blue Grass turf.

I've seen 'experts and chest beaters' come and go.......seen the latest and greatest 'have to be done THIS WAY' systems just vanish. ("They may still be going and people just quit sharing with us?") But then again I have seen PLENTY with my approach 'vanish' to have never been seen again. Doesn't seem like money can buy success , nor lack of it can predict failure.

'THINGS' that didn't work for me I didn't cling to....sumps as an example. LOATHED THEM WITH A PASSION. 'THINGS' that did work for me but were politically incorrect I clung too with an equal passion.......Vodka dosing, and using 'Natural sunlight' as well as the Atlantic Ocean as examples. NOT MUST DO'S or WRITTEN IN STONE, but worked for me.

I've only been in this hobby, corals, for 8 years, so CERTAINLY AM NO EXPERT, or sage.......just that 'working man' on a budget, that tries to find what works and goes with it.

My 210 tank had 7+ years to validate my efforts, and being as transparent as clean glass with my UPS n DOWNS......and was closed down on my own accord not out of failure.
Water Blue Light Pet supply Fluid

Water Vertebrate Nature Underwater Natural environment

And this new system, roughly a 120 gallons'ish series of 3 Frag tanks barely over 7 months old certainly has no street creds yet from longevity.
Purple Gas Pet supply Electric blue Event

But what it does have going for it is the same approach I had with the 210.......'LET'S SEE WHAT WORKS'.

There are those I see in the 'trenches every day', both ex, and present day reef, fish and SEAHORSE keepers, fighting the good fight in this hobby.....sharing information, both the successes and failures.....and BOTH are required for others to learn from, not just the 'success stories'. I enjoy seeing the failures and what they did to correct it, as much if not more than the good days.

THAT'S what I have against 'learning this hobby' from YOUTUBE or WEB SEARCHING......you only hear the 'good side' and what worked for someone else. You don't know what to do 'WHEN.......'.
You can't beat sharing the journey with others OPENLY.....I'm biased, but TRT is a perfect place because it's NOT JUDGMENTAL, and bashing, and encourages sharing. But am sure there's others sites worthy as well. And if you're lucky enough to live where there's clubs to see things first hand....sadly I don't. I live in a 'reef keeping black hole' area.

This may fall apart round my ears some day, and I may not be able to fix it......but you will know about it, and I WON'T FALL APART.....as Paul would say, ("Who'm I'm a huge fan of. But don't tell him that....he'll get a big head."), 'It's only a hobby.....there is always stamp collecting.'.

Blasted 3 cups of coffee on a quiet Sunday morning.......
Hack

There's more to this, but.....yeah, long enough for on post. :eek:

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Drinkware Tableware Liquid Fluid Ingredient

One thing is this little 'Reef in a Jug' experiment I started ...... :unsure: ("Be right back."), .....4 years ago, and 'shut down' last year...ie: quit paying any attention to it, but has kept on going. It was fed only sunlight, and an air stone.......AMAZING! And when I realized it was still going even though I was too lazy to dismantle it, I took it down into the cellar with my Frag Room move and set it on a shelf......NO SUN LIGHT IN THERE, and the only lighting is the spill over from my LEDS over the tanks, and the LED 'shop light' hanging from the ceiling. Blasted thing is still going. Every couple months when I think about it I will top off the water with some distilled.....never takes much, perhaps 2", as it has a loose fitting lid with little evaporation.
You just simply won't find this thing in any HOW TO MANUAL. :eek:
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Water Plant Vertebrate Green Purple

Water resources Water Nature Green Purple

And another little 'experiment' generated by my laziness.......this huge colony of GSP's at the back of one of my tubs, the center one, has a tendency of being out of the water if'n I neglect 'topping off my system' for a few.....few TOO MANY days. There may be an inch of the top part of that rock above the water for a couple days.......just looks like purple rock. I figure, 'oooops', top the system off, and go back to be a 'good reef keeper' for a while, and it continues to grow, open fully, and apparently couldn't care less about being exposed to air.
Azure Water Fluid Organism Liquid

THAT STUFF I refer to as my 'TIMEX COARL EXPERIMENT'.....takes abuse and keeps on ticking. (y) 😁

Can't say I condone such laziness, but from it learning has happened. I am quite skeptical when I hear folks telling people 'how fragile, and difficult corals are'. They can survive the Hack!:LOL:
Hack

PS

With my cracked, filthy phone camera lens pictures are tough to judge what you're actually looking at.....but all 3 images are at stages of being 'exposed'.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
Great posts Hack. Are there crawly critters in the jar or is it mostly plants?
Started out Rick with Kenya Trees, Mushrooms and GSP's, and the goal to watch Mother Nature's struggle for survival as a school project for Nate. GSP's lost 1st, and for the longest time Kenya Trees and Common Mushrooms slugged it out......but in the end the Mushroom corals proved their dominance. Had tons of PODS in there, but honestly, I can't see that well to tell if they'er still growing in there. I think the 'tunnels' you see in the sand bed are from 'gases' leaching through the substate.
I am torn between actually dismantling this thing, or just keep 'ignoring it'. It's a great tool for humility, and learning.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
MAN......gotta get you a 'real job' Rick if you had time to read all that while at work. Didn't actually think anyone would, other than an 'Evelyn Wood speed reading......glance it over' type attempt.
Hack
:eek: :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
......might as well post, the best I can, a picture of them breathing water. :unsure: :rolleyes:
Water Purple Underwater Aquatic plant Grass

Just this morning, compared to I believe 3-4 days ago. Lights just coming on for the day.

Vertebrate World Water Purple Plant

Water Liquid Blue Purple Fluid

......And just because I/WE love pictures round here. :cool:

One thing else I've 'learned' with this new move......sheet rock walls DON'T LIKE SALTWATER SPRAY getting on them......I have our tubs back right up against the walls for room sake. Noticed this past week the 'paper' was separating and getting the plaster on the tank rims. Quickly, as far as quick goes with me, I installed 'splash boards' behind the tanks Friday.

If'n you pay attention you might learn things in this life.
Hack

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
The “new” methods such as Dutch Synthetic Reefing that use no or very little water changes all use carbon dosing to control nutrients.
As for carved in stone must do in this hobby the only one I know of is you must keep water in the tank. There are so many methods for each step from cycling to monthly care that it can warp your mind. Even just mechanically setting up the tank. There are overflow styles, drain designs, sump, sumpless. Amazing anyone new gets through it far enough to get fish.
In the end it boils down to what works for you.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
I’m pretty lazy when it comes to reef keeping nowadays. I don’t chase numbers. Not in a regular schedule as far as water changes. I think after you been in the hobby for years you tend to spend or want to spend more time enjoying your tank. One reason soft corals are more relaxing to not only look at , but they take less work. Plus the fact that they move and flow with the water currents.
At 70 years old it just easier. I have a few hard corals growing slow but growing. The soft corals are growing fast and filling in the tank.
I also think a tank with a few large colonies look much better then a tank full of tiny frags.
I will also admit my reef get to looking kind of ugly when I don’t wipe the film off the inside glass.
So who the lazier reefer Hack.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
I will also admit my reef get to looking kind of ugly when I don’t wipe the film off the inside glass.
So who the lazier reefer Hack.
...... :unsure: ......The one without GLASS to clean!:ROFLMAO:
Hack
Frying pan Cookware and bakeware Dishware Serveware Gas

281 - 293 of 293 Posts