The Reef Tank banner
261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
Thinking on opposite sides of the falls.........toss em in, and grab a boat hook. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

2nd DAY is now the new OVERNIGHT. I shipped in the cold this past winter OVERNIGHT, but in the rush I forgot the heat packs and think a Kenya Tree didn't make it. Shipped 2nd Day last summer with NO HEATWAVE around, got to 3 separate locations in 2-3 DAYS. The 2 days was in OK shape, 3rd day didn't do too good. :( I think I covered the shipping on all them...was a 'blessing'...but still you want a blessing to be something good.

Think I'll ship the BIG-3, and the price will be what the price will be, and just adopt the mindset THAT that is what it is......but will make up for it on more 'reasonable pricing' on my Corals......grab enough Corals in an order, and the shipping will be felt less.

THANKS for the run down on Cal, and Alk Whiskey.....always appreciated. (y)
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
I stopped in our petco today. They had all saltwater fish and corals at 25 % off. Bunch of soft corals, inverts and fish. All looked good . I don’t buy there but have and never had an issue. I just which they had more supplies.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
I haven't 'actively' gone marine shopping for a while.......lights were my last investment. Still love them by the way, THANKS Jerry! (y)

Supplies I tend to by on-line because of price, but Corals and Fish I prefer local. Haven't 'looked' at them in a while, and the last was I think last fall when I came home with some Red Sponges.......They were shockingly cheap, I think like $16.00 for a nice handful size piece. BUT I recall glancing at the Corals, and the disparity in their pricing left me bewildered. Ranged from hmmmm, not bad, may need some of that .....to....HOLY CRUD, someone stuttered with the zeros! Fish, not a clue?

But with Rick and Vinnie with their purchasing having this place all a buzz, I'm getting antsy.
I'm guessing what we're seeing with shipping costs now a days, the price of local stuff will be turning stupid to cover it.
Think I do need to go press my nose against some glass and look around.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
A required check in......

Well with the 4th of July in the rearview mirror now, I realize I was remiss in my annual anniversary of our system update.
Though this year will be a little 'NOT REALLY - BUT SORTA' anniversary update.

It was the 4th of July weekend, 2014 when we carried my 210 gallon into our home....
Shirt Table Wood Sleeve Flooring

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Smile Sleeve Wood Fixture Floor

("Yeah, Hack grew 8 years since then as well.")

Wood Rectangle Display case Flooring Automotive exterior

So has that first piece of 'live rock'. Which I will loosely use to tie this into this being an 'anniversary update'. ;) :p

So now if'n you look real hard, and kinda 'over THAT WAY, you'll see that hunk of 'live rock' doing really well.....:ROFLMAO:
Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Gas Automotive wheel system Composite material

NO, in the 2nd picture.;)

Blue Light Green Azure Purple

Well it honestly is kinda hard to tell which piece it actually is since it's wearing a 'Coral ghillie suit' now. :unsure: But it's there.

OK, tongue n cheekness all out of the way, most of Y'All know this new venture actually got underway this past January, and the 210 has become a blessing to someone else now. But a lot....we actually ALL but a few new pieces have been with me since the 210 days.

Have moved from, well ha ha ha, t12's, t8's, and t5 lighting, supplemented HEAVILY by Mother Nature to these new, I LOVE EM, LED's......the Viparspectra 165 wt lighting.
And since January I haven't really noticed a difference in my Corals from the change in lighting.....WHICH I will take as a 'good thing', since I deem the t5's to be the cat's meow for Coral lighting, as well as natural sunlight, well, being the best there is. :unsure:(y)

There is a huge.....HUGE difference in keeping a system in containers rather than glass boxes, and only wish Blair was still in the game to have someone to compare this journey with.
I quickly got use to the 'look down' view rather than the side on view.....so did my Fish.

I haven't had to clean my glass in, oh.....:unsure:.....7 months now, which I use to do once a week unless I was lazy.:ROFLMAO:

Just as my 210, I let my system sorta go where it wanted to...let Mother nature show me what's up.....and once I see the ebb and flow of what's in there, begin to adjust things around a little. THAT'S about where I am now with this system.....I gave it a handful of months not messing with things to see how everything adjusts and likes it's new environment. And since this is a 'FRAG SYSTEM', I began fragging a handful of Corals to see how they would handle it.....but mostly allowed the colonies to acclimate to a new dwelling.

About that not 'cleaning the glass' thing......the sides of the tubes assuredly do get 'growth' on them, I just don't do anything about it. What I have found is that over time pieces will release from the wall and float on the surface......so I just take my net and scoop it out. MAN, that beats scrubbing glass and getting rid of all the finger prints. (y)

But I am about ready now to take this to the next level, which will be to move heavier into the 'fragging' aspect now that I've seen both 'colony and frags' doing equally as well. Gradually for the next few months, as time is precious and scarce this time of the year with the boatyard, and yard parties......but can imagine my winter break will see this task coming to completion.

Whelp, time to get moving round here.....a Saturday's a calling,
PEACE,
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Purple Organism Violet Liquid Magenta

A container with sand used for wayward Mushrooms to attach to some, making the fragging operation go easier.

I've tried over time to just glue them.....but it's hit or miss if THAT works. So have found allowing them to attach to a little sand makes the gluing process more 'fool proof'. (y)

Some folks tie them or rubber band them to a plug or rock.....which works, BUT WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT! Mushrooms are slimy! Slipping and sliding between the fingers.....chasing them around the tank as they float away. Yeah, I just decided to let them do all the work.

Spent a little time in the FRAG ROOM yesterday getting some orders ready. Breaking up some larger pieces to a desired size, and placing some Mushrooms in the sand to attach. Attaching different Corals to the same plug/discs for esthetics.
Water Blue Liquid Vertebrate Azure

Water Blue Light Azure Fluid

To me this is the fun and interesting part of the hobby.......playing with the Corals, just the right ones here, a contrasting one there.... documenting PARAMETERS to pass on to a client to give them the best chance for success.

BUT taking the time to keep track of 'pricing'.....the going rates, and shipping costs.....what some people call one Coral another calls them something else.....NOT SO MUCH!

A huge hurdle I did recently over come that has taken a lot of stress off the process for me is 'Becoming comfortable with the NEW NORMAL' as far as shipping goes. I didn't invent it, and it is what it is.....I had a hard time getting past THAT shock. Gone are the $7.00 days of shipping.......just took time to get over that. 😱(y)

If anyone finds themselves having success with the Corals they keep, and perhaps feel a tinge of boredom setting in.......try fragging some. Bring some excitement back into the hobby for yourselves and bless others with your success.(y):cool:
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Just a little 'house keeping'......moving some pictures around.
Water Blue Fluid Liquid Organism

Blue Liquid Fluid Aqua Gas

Since I'm usually on a tight schedule with work, I try to have everything all ready the night before, so come 'shipping day', all I have to do is 'box n ship'. So the night before I place the frags in the containers I'll be shipping them in....minus the lids of course.
Paint Fluid Wood Plastic bottle Flooring

So shipping day all I have to do before I head off to work is box them. And then at lunch time I hand them off to the USPS (y)
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Nope. Weather is moderate at the moment.......both winter and summer I make sure there's not EXTREME CONDITIONS during the shipping period. Though during the colder months I do use heat packs. One of the big reasons I now only ship NEXT DAY.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,329 Posts
Might be moderate at your location. But most places in USA pretty hot. I would think ice packs needed this time of year. Then the amount of time on a truck making it route would be pretty rough. I know some corals are pretty hardy compared to others. I want to send some seahorses to Wichita, but it too warm right now. Even with ice packs I am holding off.
I also think I would probably send air freight to be picked up at the airport.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
NO argument from me Pal......sounds like wise, sage advice. Even in 'professional orders' I've received never seen them used......what kind do you recommend? Are they actually 'frozen' packs, or something 'chemical' in nature? I use 'handwarmer packs' in the cold months myself.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,329 Posts
I haven’t used any myself as I never ship livestock. But over the years of riding livestock online , they all had heat or ice packs. That’s for coral , inverts and fish.
They seem to be some kind if chemical reaction. I know they work because you can feel them . Either cool or warm.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Peripheral Microphone Input device Audio equipment Material property

Automotive tire Table Gadget Peripheral Cameras & optics

SUN SUNs.....cheap as snot, and probably not well thought of. My 2nd batch of these, and couldn't be happier....especially at $31.00 for the 4 of them. My last ones lasted 4 years, and began to fail one at a time from then on. 2 are still going, and will put them in 'ready reserve'. :unsure: (y) :cool:

These were only 800 GPH, and my last were 1600 GPH......were a smidge over kill. And of course they have 'suction cups', and I USE TO CARE.....no more.....I just throw them in the tank on top of the rocks, and let them do their thing. LOVE THESE TUBES!
Hack

·
Super Moderator
28,329 Posts
I never used them, but I know those and other are popular. when I need any new ones I will probably buy something similar. The brand name pumps and power heads are ridiculous when it comes to pricing. I hope they come out with knock off more 49’s and 60’s

Just one brand of pump I ever had trouble with was Reo pump, it shorted in the tank and smelled like a chemical leak that did harm my tank. But I wasn’t the only person it happened to.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
YES.....the Rio pumps SUCK! Same experience I had. 😱

Only thing I have against these SUN SUNs is that when you plug them in/back in, they have the tendency to 'kick off in reverse'.......I unplug it, and replug it in......that works.....SOME TIMES. A pencil thru the cage, and flick it back the other way is the reason I always keep a pencil by my systems.:unsure:(y) But I can live with THAT for $31.00.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Water Liquid Blue Purple Fluid

Blue Purple Entertainment Visual effect lighting Gas

A relaxing day around the old homestead, allowing for time for a little Frag Room putzing.
It amazes me how the move downstairs has made my 'temperature management' sooooooo easy. I've never had my temps stay so constant....80 - 81F with NO INTERVENTION. No AC, no 'opening/closing windows or blinds......only a small floor fan for air circulation.

Added a small SS sink today that I have been wanting to.......just never got to it. Saves a lot of running up and down stairs. Just loving the move.:cool:

All depends on how my Fragging enterprise goes, I can already picture over the winter expanding down the opposite wall with another 3 tubes to keep the 'colonies' growing. Those valves I installed will come in handy! (y)
Hack

261 - 280 of 293 Posts