The Reef Tank banner
241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Hey Rick.....
Yeah me and Aquaman go way back together as a team. When I met Jen I had a dive company and She affectionately referred to me as Aquaman......and at some point these little figures would begin to show up at my job sites, and I'd start to see them attached to some of my diver's gear. ......actually began to wear thin after the cuteness subsided. We beganning having to save his butt pretty often before we button up a job. 😁

All those pink branching Corals are Kenya Trees.....they like it here.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Shhhhhush now......He offends easily, and there's not a 'Mr. Bob' close by if'n you catch my meaning.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Well with 'adjusting' both the tank heater and room heater, now over a 2 day period the systems staying between 78.1 and 78.5 through this mini heat wave. What had felt like a tropical paradise when you entered the room, feels close to the ambient cellar temp. I have the room heater down to 68F, and had been at 82F to stave off the cold winter nights.

Blue Azure Organism World Aqua

Some of my Elephant Ear Mushrooms.....the left one is actually a piece 'calved off' of the larger piece to the right.
Can you see how 'delicate' that left piece appears?
Water Blue Liquid Azure Cloud

I noticed this morning I could see the egg crate through it.

Water Azure Fluid Organism Underwater

Was also doing some looking around, and under things and came across a colony of Green Frilly Mushrooms hidden under some of my Common ones.
Water Cloud Purple Sky Underwater

I knew I use to have some, and have 2-3 pieces in my other tubs, but this one pleasantly surprised me this morning.

Alk is still holding at 9dKH
pH steady as a rock at 8.3
temp. 78.3
SG 1.0255
*Calc at 520ppm.......Has been high in this system since the move. And after the last influx of the Atlantic Ocean o few weeks ago showed above the TABLES. Yesterday it began to come down, and this morning was back on the TABLE.
In my old system toward the end I was struggling with the opposite.......couldn't get it up to 400ppm.

I'm dosing Alk, but NOT Cal. What 'mechanism' is a reef tank influences Calc......that would have changed during my move? A 'revamp' of the rocks being moved over, and thus none of the hidden muck that was in the old system? Ain't complaining, just getting the 'feel'.
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
Looks good, from my experience with soft corals I have found that both all and calcium to be a non issue. They seem to stay is decent range by just doing water changes.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Hey Vinnie.....
I found about 1 1/2yrs ago I had to start dosing Alk......best I figured my huge growths of GSPs and that hard skeleton they grow from was chewing it up. Even with water changes with Reef Crystals I was struggling to keep it above 5 dKh.....since my dosing has been rock solid at 9.
Then towards the end my Cal. began dropping like a rock as well.....it was falling to about 300ppm, and I was just about ready to start dosing Ice Melt when I put everything on hold till this move.
Just when I think I have life figured out..... :unsure: :oops:
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
And here's some 'just because' pictures to break up our week....

Water Purple Underwater Plant Organism

Water Blue Azure Fluid Organism

Blue Cloud Sky Azure Plant

Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
SHIPPING

This is my biggest hurdle......the cost of shipping. :unsure: :oops:
Yes, I know.....a cost past on to the customer.

When I started doing this to 'bless folks' or to 'trade' Corals, we use to do 2nd DAY USPS shipping since we/I just dealt with 'softies'. Never had any issues, and at about $14.00 a price we/I could just swallow......it would work out in the long run.

THAT WAS BEFORE COVID and shipping, both cost and quality went stupid!

2nd DAY turned into 3-4 DAYS, and OVERNIGHT USPS turned into $50.00+ Neither is acceptable!

Softies are fine shipping with 2nd day arrival.....MUST BE THERE the second day. And OVERNIGHT? WOW......I see the big ON-LINE guys still showing around $30.00 OVERNIGHT? Compared to the $50-75.00+ I see when I click on the 3 big shipping sites...USPS, UPS, FEDEX.

Are there other options? Can't trust 2nd DAY right now.....and my conscious hurts me to charge more than what the 'big guys' charge for OVER NIGHT.....and I can't swallow THAT.
Ideally I only ask for a 'token amount' IF ANYTHING for my Corals.....but with that stupid cost os shipping, I don't feel right asking for money on top of that.

What's everyone seeing out there now in the shipping industry.....any viable options past the BIG-3?
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,584 Posts
I don’t know Hack. Pretty much every vehicle that moves your shipment is burning diesel and the price of that has gone through the roof. COVID taught everyone to shop on line and made shipping a huge part of commerce. So much so that some companies are actually basing their margin on the profit they get on shipping. Larger mail order companies get reduced shipping rates and charge the customer the standard rate - pocketing the rest. “Pay a separate shipping fee for the free product”.

I’d say it just means you have a smaller territory.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
Hack , these days overnight is the only option and even then it may take two. No carrier guarantees it will make it on time since Covid.
As far as the big coral dealers still charging 30 is because they are sell overpriced tiny frags.

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Ohhhhhh I know they're scalping with these Coral prices....the pieces that IF I sold them, they'd be going $15-$25 and EVERYONE is selling itsy bitsy frags for $45-$70 Little Mushrooms and Kenya Trees....GSPs, you'd think they were made of gold! My conscience hurts me to sell anything now because of the shipping. :mad:

And yes......I will ONLY ship 'overnight' now since the world turned upside down on us. I tried, and failed miserably 2nd DAY.....everyone got a bag of gooey snot.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Every time I show Jen these stupid prices She starts twirling Her hands together and 'ENCOURAGES' me to sell! ;)
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Does anyone know if you're allowed to ship Coral across borders? I know the 'importers' do it from all over God's creation.....but them Americans and Canadians have 'funny rules'.
Hack

·
Administrator
19,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Ahhhhhh....now Ya went and spoiled the surprise. ;)
We'll say it's a box of 'rocks'.....perhaps even from the Canadian Rockies.:unsure:😁(y)
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,584 Posts
I am a fair ways away for needing to worry about coral. If there are any issues they are likely going to come on this side of the 49th. The list of what can't come in is longer than the list of what can't go out.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,204 Posts
I think softies can make it for 3 days in shipping provided the temperatures don't go super wild. I'm not talking about a heat pack, more like a good foam insulator. Many of the places I've bought from use garage door foam cut to line the inside of the box because it's cheaper.

Regarding big coral sellers, I think many of them have import licenses, because I've heard youtubers talk about the challenge of shipping over boarders.

As far as CA goes,... I really don't think you are using much right now. Your old tank could have had so much coraline that it brought the number down over time, but soft corals really don't use it. Alk is used by bacterial processes though, and it makes sense that you need to dose at least a small amount of that. Once CA or MAG is low BTW, it takes a HUGE amount to bring it up,.. I'm talking bottles of the stuff.

Another thing that can knock CA down is overdosing ALK or dosing ALK in an area too fast. This will cause the CA to precipitate out and will make a white cloud, once this happens it can never re-dissolve into solution. That may also be what happened.

Whiskey

241 - 260 of 293 Posts