The Reef Tank banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I'll probably stop by the lfs tomorrow and pick up a ground probe......according to the internet they're not overly pricey.....we'll se what a local mark up is though. Should be under $20.00? If not I could go the stainless silverware route with a copper wire attached taken to ground.
Hack
WOW......dropped a SS bolt in the tank attached to a hunk of 12 ga copper wire hose clamped to a pipe.....STRAY VOLTAGE GONE!! Couldn't believe it, so pulled the bolt in and out a couple times to verify....YUP! :rolleyes: From 21.5 VAC to ZIP VAC!

THANKS Paul! (y)

Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
Cool on eliminating stray voltage. In a main tank its the pits getting zapped but I remember reading years ago that in some cases stray voltage in frag tanks actually led to better coral grab and growth. I think it was on some acropora frags but its been years so the details are dim. Probably had that article bookmarked 5 puters ago

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Another plus to my new system is the ability to 'quantitate' my parameters when I send someone Corals for their system. With these containers I have each more or less divided into 1/4th's as far as lighting goes, and in 1/2 as far as flow is concerned. And I have all my various Corals under all these varying conditions. Doing so I can see for myself exactly what LIGHTING and FLOW any given Coral does best in.

With a recent shipment I sent I was actually able to supply the customer with the exact parameters each Coral came from, making their placement in their system less of a guess work.

HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, and I know a lot of us if not all have struggled with what 'THAT' means?
I can now send a PAR reading along with what flow it's under, ("I describe what the Coral looks like in the flow it's in......anywhere from no flow to being bent in half flow."). I know that had always been frustrating to me seeing those words, and no way to judge what it meant.

We have enough variables when we try to acclimate new Corals into our systems with water quality, lighting and flow. So I like the idea I can assist with removing some of the 'unknowns from the equation.

Almost every week, if not indeed every day I learn something new........some days you take things for granted, and out of a clear blue sky the next you see something you looked right past before.
I have some Mushrooms that have been sitting on a shelf for years being completely ignored, as well as discovering GSPs don't seem to care if they spend some of their time out of the water......Mother Nature is a tough old girl. Fragile.....thinking not so much......but we do have to know what it is that they do like.

This is putting the excitement of new discoveries in front of me all over again. :unsure: (y)
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
YES! LED's, at least these Viparspectra's are very finite in their 'spread'......like rain on one side of the street and a sunny day on the other. Learning to make THAT work for me as I learn what Corals like.

T5's were such a gradual gradient it was WONDERFUL......yet hard to detect what I am now. I can have 1/2 a colony getting intense PAR and the other 1/2......half that and see which are doing better......IF ANY?

Speaking of, as bored as I am now home sick for 2 days......good time to go do some more 'fragging'.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Got to spend some time in the Frag Room today......and YES, actually did some fragging too.:giggle:

Still doing some fine tuning down there.....as I see something that'll make my life in there a little easier I'll get to it....eventually. ;)
I still need a slope sink in there.......walking up and down stairs dripping wet....and it's soooooo often needed but not realized.....how many times to wash hands.....rinse hands.....rinse out containers....tools....yeah, I will try to remember that the next 1,000 times I'm in HD this weekend. :ROFLMAO:

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Liquid Blue Light Azure Fluid

Sky Blue Water Light Azure

Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Has anyone ever fragged Sponges? I know not to take them out of the water, ("Though there are some that LAUGH AT THAT, and say that's how they gather it from the Caribbean.") But I'll err on the side of caution.

Is there a proper way to cut Sponge, and glue/fasten it to plugs? I have some I'd like to frag so I can experiment with it's 'placement' and see where it does the good'est.:cool:
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Water Natural environment Underwater Organism Coastal and oceanic landforms

I've had these 'Red Tree Sponges' for a month or so'ish in my system.......still look good, and haven't managed to kill them yet. :rolleyes:

This is what I have.

We've all had those 'Pineapple Sponges' in our systems that had come and gone from the availability of silicates in our tanks.......as well as 'whatever kind of sponges they are' that show up seemingly from no where.....Yellows, Oranges, ect. 'Ball Sponges' I think? ("Lost all my older pictures thanks to the 'technology' so nothing to share.")

But I'm curious now, since I am running a 'Frag system' and should know something about this....:ROFLMAO:......
Has anyone actually fragged any of these sponges? Love to hear some discussions on this, and compile some UP TO DATE, FIRST HAND INFORMATION to be able to pass on.

THANKS,
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
THANKS Vinnie.....

I am new to keeping Sponges, on purpose. I have had, and have those 'out of nowhere sponges', they stay small, and out of sight out of mind. I did buy some 'Ball Sponges' years ago, and still have a remnant of them......most just faded away over time, but a chunk has hung in there.

I am certainly NO EXPERT on them....care, ID, propagating.... but am interested, very much so, in the context of having our site grow, and grow with the availability of GOOD INFORMATION. I'm grabbing this tiny niche of the hobby and see if we can't turn a page here. (y)

And on this thread, and ESPECIALLY on the 'EVERYTHING 2DO WITH FRAGGING' thread.......I'm going to reiterate this isn't about this being the ME THREAD.......this is open to ALL.....anyone that has had success with any aspect of FRAGGING is welcome and encouraged to add, jump in, ask, and engage. This is a huge part of our hobby, and soooooo neglected.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Just a little update.......very little since it's still early, and only have my first 2 cups of joe in me.

Did my first 4 MONTH ('whether it needs it of not') water change on my new system yesterday......16 gallons on my....hmmmmm... :unsure: .......no clue, but at some point figured in the ball park of 160 gallon'ish system.

I use the Atlantic Ocean with a touch of Instant Ocean.......NSW in our stretch of the Atlantic at least this recent batch was 1.018 and I run our tanks at 1.0255. So a 1/2-CUP of Reef Crystals did the trick.

Temp is running around 78.6 - 80.1 through the course of the day
SG at said 1.0255
pH at 8.4 * My steadiest parameter
dKH of 9

Will check with my other numbers today. But this is thrilling me so far after 4 months as stable and 'happy looking' the system is.

Blue Light Green Azure Purple

TANK #1("The one closest to Ya") is the one I keep my Fish in......best I can figure I have at least 3 in there, with possibly hmmm..:unsure:....another 2-3. A 'look down' system, overgrown in a canopy of Corals make it all but impossible to see/keep track of the tiny Gobies.
But do see our Half Black Dwarf Angel, our PJ Cardinal, and our oldest a Blue/Green Chromis are constantly interacting with me.

Plant Flower Purple Petal Pink

My newest Leather, a Tan Toadstool, which I got a couple months ago is doing good.

Cloud Water Plant Purple Flower

Atmosphere Cloud Purple Sky Violet

And another leather, a Green Umbrella Coral that was just 'holding it's own' in the 210 gallon, and is now EXPLODING!
Always enveloped in polyp extension.

Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
THANKS Whiskey.....this move has kept the hobby 'fresh' for me......sparked a whole new excitement. NOT that I was tiring, but like a kid on Christmas morning excitement.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Checked more of my parameters today......
NO3 was holding at >0 <5ppm
Calcium was at 27 drops with the API, which the chart stops at 26 drops which is 520 ppm, so appears to be at 540 ppm.
Brand new test kit. Will retest tomorrow, again with the new as well as with an older kit I have. I'm not dosing calcium chloride, though was getting set up to do it with the 210 gal. since my GSPs were tearing up my calcium.
Just seems high, since I know I struggled with it? Granted I did a small water change yesterday.....BUT?
Hack

221 - 237 of 237 Posts