The Reef Tank banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Vertebrate Cartoon Happy Gesture Finger
......OOOOooooooooow! Found another bad Sunsun PH the other morning. Went to fill their food bottle with water and felt a 'tingle'........ :unsure: ....was THAT a tingle? Better check.....ZAP! And a righteous one at that. OK.....unplug one thing at a time and re-dip finger.....Yeah, THAT lasted exactly one time before THAT got old. UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING and repeat......ahhhhhhhhh, THAT feels better. Still means 1 at a time plugged back in......luckily found with the 2nd one.

Now this is the 3rd time I've come across this, and it's GETTING OLD! I know you check for it with a volt meter, but has anyone ever come across anyone having one on-duty full time? Seems the battery ones would kill the batteries before long.....perhaps a few hours. Would like something FULL TIME, and be dependable. Other than being stupid, I'VE BEEN VERY LUCKY! Don't want a Family member to NOT BE LUCKY!
Hack

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
You using GFCI plug or power strip?
Could try grounding the tank.
With anything electrical and water no matter how expensive the equipment this is always a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
One reason I like DC pumps. I had a two pump cook my tank in the early 2000’s. It actually melted and put off a chemical smell in the tank. It’s in one of my threads here. Rep pump back then had a bad reputation.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I'm using power strip Jerry..........I know a gfi is preferable. I'd like to find an 'AT A GLANCE TEST' I can rig to the system before anyone gets a jolt.

These are aging pumps that require replacing........this is one of the reasons I was inquiring about an 'external' pump to control flow. Still may.

Hack

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
No idea if this would work but perhaps a small light bulb from a flashlight or something with one lead in the water and one lead on the ground? Should light if there is an electrical potential between the two sources. If you are running A/C pumps an automotive volts gauge won't work but it might with D/C

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Hand Drinkware Fluid Finger Nail

Hand Finger Nail Thumb Glass

This is what caused the issue the last time my teeth chattered when I stuck my hand in our tanks.

Haven't 'gotten a jolt from my electrode', ("Who gets the reference?"), since then. But I did start my hunt today, thanks to Paul's suggestions, on a method of 'monitoring my system for voltage. And shockingly, all puns intended, I get 20.8 VAC in our system......but no 'tingle' to be had.

I probably haven't tested my system in over a year....at least for voltage in there, so have no idea how long THAT has been present. The last time was in the big tank when I was touching our old cast iron radiators and had my hand in the tank cleaning it....got put on my butt. After tracking it down to a similar looking power head, and then testing the tank I had NOTHING.

Will be picking up some GFIs tomorrow.

This 20.8 volts is what I'm guessing is referred to as 'STRAY VOLTAGE' such as what the motors/pumps/heaters ect. create inside and is radiated out into our tanks? And would it be a fair thought that when those bare wires zapped me that that was called LINE VOLTAGE? And probably the full 120VAC? THAT is what I want to protect myself and others from.

Y'All that check for such things......when you see 'STRAY VOLTAGE' in your systems what is it?

This is my mission now.....won't become an expert electrician, but do want a good handle of these issues that we face in our tanks.

Grooviness,
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Hey Jerry.....

Yeah....grounding was Paul's most vehement suggestion, with a GFI snapping fast on it's heels. I'm still going to incorporate a meter being hooked up some how as a piece of mind.
Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
Did you get a jolt from my electrode, you did the mash, he did the reefers mash, it was a fishroom smash. He was working the fish room late one night, when his eyes (and fingers) saw an eery site, when he put his finger in he saw the light.
he did the reefers mash,

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Give the man a cookie! :ROFLMAO:

Well done Doug!
Did you ever see the Halloween Dick Clark show that had Bobby Pickett on it.....painful to watch him.

Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
I masachreed the lyrics , but I am distracted, I am trying to dupicate resteraunt quality Filet Mignon, its her favorite cut. Takes more work than throwing a ribeye one, I like near raw ;)

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Rare/Medium rare here.......a Fillet's a wee too high shelf for my simple tastes. A ribeye or a Potterhouse....depends on how hungry I am. Mushrooms n oinions are nice if'n you please.

I don't know....I thought you were really rocking it there Doug. (y)
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I'll probably stop by the lfs tomorrow and pick up a ground probe......according to the internet they're not overly pricey.....we'll se what a local mark up is though. Should be under $20.00? If not I could go the stainless silverware route with a copper wire attached taken to ground.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
THAT is truly SUCKIE irony Jerry......even you living in the heart of cattle country feel it.
Lucky me I have always been a man of simple tastes......lots of cheap cuts find their way to my tummy.
Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
Honestly it was way more than I have paid for a lb of beef, was curious if I could do one to her liking. Yesterday when I was in store I saw a package twice the weight but marked down cause it wasnt $26 a lb bright, of course that wasnt there a bit ago when I went back

201 - 220 of 237 Posts