The Reef Tank banner
181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
If you are going to sell frags a selection is good.
Jerry, I will in most likelihood, NEVER get around to 'selling Frags for a living'. On occasion.....in certain situations.....if the 'spirit moves me'....if I feel a sudden urge....But for the most part this is still all about me enjoying the hobby....the way I want to, not the way a customer thinks I should'.....still my 'Reef journey'. BUT, if I do, this new set up is sooooooo much easier to do so.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
OK, just so Y'All know I take this hobby seriously, here's an up date.....

79F temp
1.025 SG
8.1 pH
0 <5.0 NO3 ("TAKE 3 EDITS!")
440 ppm Cal
9 dKh Alk

Difference in the 2 months now that it's been running, and uhhhhhh, I finally tested it again, is my Alk came down from 11 dKh.
So I fired up my dosing pump, and started dosing sodium carbonate again daily. Those GSPs will suck that stuff every time.

Still have AT LEAST 3 Fish in here yet, with perhaps as many as :unsure: hmmmmmmm 4-5? With this new set up those 'tiny ones' O love so much can be anywhere, or no where. It's the bigger boisterous ones that you can see out n about.

When things first came over, and my aged lighting was fueling the decline, I got a lot of 'brown' and a wee bit of 'green' algaes growing......mostly on the sides of the tubs. It would grow there in sheets, and I'd skim it off with the net.
With my new LEDs, it's dieing/died off, and the sides are pert near clear ahain.

Skimming nice dark tea/decaffeinated coffee out of our system, staying about 1/4 of the collection cup every fe days which I manually drain..... WITHOUT having to kneel down on the floor and crawl under a stand, sticking my face in a filthy sump.......OHHHHHhhhhhh I've died and gone to Reefer Heaven! :ROFLMAO: Though I did have to carry 35 empty gallon jugs out to the curb.

Purple Gas Pet supply Electric blue Event

Liquid Fluid Water Gas Engineering

Drinkware Tableware Light Cup Kitchen appliance

Dosing Alk again but Vodka's no longer required......BUT THERE in case of an emergency!

Shelf Shelving Gas Display case Paint

Liquid Drinkware Water Bottle Fluid

Y'All remember this old friend? Truly has been an 'ignore n forget' project......Out in the front room it was powered by only an air stone and the Sun. Down here on the shelf, only an air stone....no Sun down there. So it's only the spill over lights from the tanks and the fluorescent overhead shot light.....which is nothing special. Mushrooms are still growing along oblivious to the world. I swear they'll out live cockroaches! 4 years now with NO ATTENTION....at all!
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
OK, finally got off my lazy butt this afternoon, and STARTED to do what this is all about.....

Water Blue Vertebrate World Azure

Seeing everything seems happy and growing nicely in my new system, I began the process of actually turning this into a FRAG TANK. Started breaking up some 'colonies', and the process of 'just how much to break/leave' on each has begun. FAR from the need to glue things to plugs or discs yet......though as I break the colonies apart I am eyeing what may look nice to have another piece 'glued' here or there along with it.

Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I've come to the realization that CORAL PICTURE TAKING ain't going to be easy! :rolleyes:

Water Blue Light Azure Fluid

Water Blue Liquid Vertebrate Azure

Vertebrate Blue Azure Water Organism

See......Just my initial attempt to see what I'm going to be up against. Yup......

Using my phone, and 'focus' on it is temperamental......then the refraction/reflections....COLOR.....Right about now, though regret isn't a feeling I have, but do miss all the camera equipment I gave away. Looks like I'll be keeping my eyes open for some kind of 'point n shoot' digital camera. Shudder to think what a SLR digital would go for. Need to be able to gain focus better than I can with this phone though....With the broken lens.:ROFLMAO:
Hack

Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
You need an orange or brown filter
THANKS! But I'm going to take advantage of my set up, and the fact I am going to only be dealing with FRAGS. I'm gonna try placing them in another shallow container for the photo shoot and try using white light. Get rid of all the 'back ground chatter, and blue light effects.
In this new room I finally have OPTIONS! Ohhhhhh I'm so happy! (y)
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
I encourage you to give that a shot Hack, for some corals it will work out just great! However for many corals you will find that the look under white light only is nothing like what they look like in the tank. In order to compensate for that allot of people will use a clip on orange filter for their phones (these are inexpensive, but make sure you get one for this), or people may shoot in Raw then color correct. This is really only possible on SLR type cameras, or something like that. If you try and color correct a JPG it will badly distort the image because JPG is a lossy compression type.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Got to look around for 'something'.......camera, filters, lighting.....something.
Because right now the Corals look great under these lights.....the camera just doesn't show it. Haven't a clue if there's any longer any kind of a camera store round here to look for filters.....think the world has gone 'WalMart'. I'll do a little on-line looking tonight. I recall You Guys held a conversation recently about filters vs cameras vs lighting...do you recall where THAT was. THIS would be great to include in the ( EVERYTHING 2DO WITH FRAGGING) thread.....most beneficial. I will link to it when we/I figure this out.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Hack you could hang your old T5 over your photo tank, turn them on for a shot and off afterwards.
Nice thinking Jerry, but I already repurposed both those t5 fixtures with the 65K bulbs in my gun shop.....NICE LIGHTS!
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
A Samsung 6S or something like that. It's on charge at the moment, and when it wakes up I'll check farther.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Is that the one you use Vinnie? THAT I can swing......better than the 3-$500.00 Digitals I was glancing at.....even the 'point n shoots' were struggling to come in under $200.00. AIN'T GETTING THAT SERIOUS!
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
SHOULD......looks like just a 'clip' holds the filter over the camera lens? I'll order that and give it a try.....for that price I don't mind the 'experiment'......$100.00 would bug me, but I tend to loose $20.00 pert regularly. 😁

My concern though is the broken lens on my phone......tends to be more forgiving with distant objects compared to bordering on macro. Could try Jen's phone......but the only thing I dislike more than sumps are Apple products.:ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
I get that that all the time with my Nikon digital, I have yet to find a native Windows photo program that show what I see on a downloaded image

181 - 200 of 237 Posts