The Reef Tank banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
ABSOLUTELY TRUE......ZERO ARGUMENT....That said though, I'm still lazy! IF I and Hack ever approach the point of being able to 'outshoot' our guns, I will definitely take Nate into loading His own rounds. After 63 years of trying, give or take, I CAN'T.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
A TALE of TWO HOBBIES

("Yeah if'n I weren't so blasted lazy, and this wasn't a predominately MARINE HOBBY FORUM I'd start another thread. But as is will just burry this duality in this obscure little thread.")

It never works out, at least for me having more than one iron in the fire at a time.....when you're HOT into a hobby, all spare change goes into feeding that hobby......tough to split THAT!

With THAT at the forefront of my thoughts, hobby related that is, I still consider REEF KEEPING my 'hobby'.,....GUNS have always just been a part of my life, and never particularly viewed as a 'hobby'.
And now with thoughts of my love for guns perhaps becoming an avenue as my inevitable, one day, retirement PLANs, I find myself just enjoying the talking about it again as I refresh my memory of ALL I HAVE LONG SINCE FORGOTTEN from lack of use.

So as this thread seems to be becoming more active by me, and who ever stops by to chat, it's not from loss of interest in my 'hobby' of reef keeping, but a tale of my knocking the dust off of an 'old Friend'.
Hack

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
NJ has hmmmmmm :unsure: ......most unagreeable gun laws.....could be worse, so uhhhh ignore that which may have sounded like a complaint to some. ;)

I had to disable my AR15's bayonet lug, and replace the factory flash suppressor with an aftermarket muzzle break, and pin and solder it in place......of course damaging the barrel's threaded muzzle in doing this.

Hand Glove Gesture Safety glove Dress

Wood Gas Electric blue Auto part Bumper

Gas Cylinder Tints and shades Automotive exhaust Metal

Paper towel holder Material property Fixture Door Gas

Not to mention 10-round clips ONLY. We learn to adapt.....
Hack

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Hack, you did run that all the way through the barrel and out the other side right?
My weapons consist of a Savage model 99 lever action, bolt action Mossberg 12 ga and a 410. Once had a Ruger Super Blackhawk, Tuarus .38, Taurus 9mm, Savage model 110e in 7mm Magnum and a Savage model 110FP in .223. I used to take them all to the range every sunday and spend a few hours. That goes though a lot of ammo.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
The 'good old days!'

Hack, you did run that all the way through the barrel and out the other side right?
THAT actually would seem to cut my 'bullet costs in half'........hmmmmmmm :unsure: .....Shocked 'they' didn't think of that.:ROFLMAO:
Hack

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Oh friend's I am so sorry you live in blue states! 2nd says shall not be infringed... I don't think that applies to everyone because alot shouldn't have guns in their house but for the majority we should be able to have cans on our treaded tips to save the young'ends ears right? I'm deaf but the Littles aren't yet! Not everyone is stable enough for full auto so background checks are great but should a proven stable person have to pay extra after approval? I **** sure don't want a mass shooting but does taking guns away from good guys solve the problem? The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun! That being said do you want the good guy sitting next to you on the pew or at the end of the phone call 30+ minutes away(police). I never leave the house without one and my wife neither but not all should have one... I am the sad sap on the fence! We should ALL have the opportunity but thank the stars for the amendments because a lot of people shouldn't have them! With the gun laws tho... only good guys follow the laws and leave the guns at home! Bad guys don't care about a gun fee sign! The signs only work against heros not the villians...! The gun laws are screwy state to state but the red states have the stats! Please forgive me for my constitutional mind set I'm from Missouri lol. Gun laws are important but I think they need a whole new think like up front pricing for services like uhm car repair. Too high here then check there! Fair compition like every other profession! We don't need free health care we just need to be smart about what we want! We don't need no guns we just need to re think how some people get them. If you don't know much about guns then you should study to make an educated decision is all I'm saying! Good guys follow all the laws put forth BUT bad guys don't care! All the gun control laws only work on law abiding citizens... bad guys see no guns and think, uh ... no one has a gun there to stop them unless the police are called and then how far away are they? Even running away on foot the bad guy is LONG GONE after killing someone before the cops get there! I prefer my gun to a responding officer's! OK so I'm a gun nut that is opinionated lol but let me ask you this... if there is a robber at the gas station what will keep you safer? The good guy with a gun right behind you or the cell phone 911 in your hand? How can people not see that? PLEASE if I am wrong than help me understand! If I'm right then help others to understand please.
Sorry friends just ranting about one slim problem in the world today... anyone want to talk about gas and the Alaskan pipeline? I been poking the bear at home so thought I might stick a figure in here lol. Please don't cancel me! Oh OK I'll stop now. I love everyone no matter their views I was just trying to rouse conversations about this tragic situation for our next generation

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Noise suppression is easily obtained in Europe, it is seen as safety measure.
In the US I think possibly the public may believe the movies are right and you just screw a silencer on a .45 auto or .38 revolver and a gunshot becomes a ppssst sound you can barely hear.
A firearm in the hands of someone with out good training can cause as much damage as one in the hands of a criminal. Plus if the person carrying it can’t squeeze the trigger when the target is a person. If they cannot they may well be killed and put another firearm in criminal hands. You can’t have the mindset that you can just display the weapon and the bad guy will give up or run. You can’t think you will shoot in the arm or worse shoot the weapon out of their hand.
So if the person around me with a firearm isn’t proficient I would rather be robbed and wait on police than be collateral damage. A well intended bullet makes you just as dead.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
OK. I’ll wade in here. As a Canuck if you aren’t a hunter you just don’t have guns. My Grandfather was a hunter and had a large collection. He trained snipers in WWII and taught me to shoot. I have forgotten most of it but man we’re he and his buddies good. That story may surface soon in one of Hack’s threads.

When he passed I let his friends get his good hunting rifles and got his old shotgun and a couple .22’s.

I am heading to the range this afternoon - sunny and 45F with a light breeze. Very excited. I will be miserable while we are plinking tin on the range but will have a riot shooting skeet.

The shot gun is 20ga bolt action. I was told 1947 but have no way of knowing. If anyone here can ID any of these with more info I would appreciate it.

Wood Textile Publication Rectangle Book
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Air gun Trigger

The bolt action .22 is iron sights and about the same age. Being the first gun I ever fired it is cool to have. I saw my Grandfather do some shooting that defied reality with it but I am nowhere near that level.

Wood Publication Wood stain Shelf Hardwood

String instrument Air gun Trigger Table Wood

The last one is also a .22 but semi-automatic. Made by Sears and is 1974 or so. I do have the original Weaver 4X scope but it wasn’t sighted in so I am going iron sights today.

Wood Metal Font Natural material Pipe

Musical instrument Wood String instrument accessory String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
If you write the manufacturer and give them the serial number they should be able to tell you.
Savage is really an under rate company.
I have a Savage model 99 chambered in 300 Savage. Shoots quarter size groups at 100 yards with iron sights. Can’t find a scope mount and don’t want to drill it. Also had a 110 E in 7mm magnum and a 110FP in .223. All excellent weapons.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Well it has stood the test of time that is for sure. She doesn’t reach very far like the modern 12ga does so you have to be quick but she can still hold her own. They two old ones were in pretty tough shape and were torn down. I refinished the stocks and the hard parts got polished and cold blued. There was a lot of surface rust on the barrels but the bores were in great shape.

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
Hey Pal......GREAT that you got out there making more memories. Did I read 'somewhere' that you were going out there with some of your Grandfather's Friends?

The bolt action .22 is iron sights and about the same age. Being the first gun I ever fired it is cool to have. I saw my Grandfather do some shooting that defied reality with it but I am nowhere near that level.
THAT is cool!:cool: I recently found myself in a similar situation......my Brother gave me our Father's .22 We'All learned to shoot with to restore to working condition......was a real walk down memory lane.

The last one is also a .22 but semi-automatic. Made by Sears and is 1974 or so. I do have the original Weaver 4X scope but it wasn’t sighted in so I am going iron sights today.
Been blocked by one dead end/false lead after another......BUT, just in case you haven't already figured it out,

Wood Metal Natural material Font Pipe

that's an ( 8 C......NOT a MODEL 80).
And best I can find out is that it's a ......

("#4 · Jun 4, 2013

Your rifle was made by Cooey here is a links to an old auction for one.
Cooey Model 8C 22LR - Excellent Condition - GunAddicts.com © 2009 - All Rights Reserved

Gun Control Isn’t About Crime, It’s A Battle In America’s Culture War

SaveShare
Reply ")

Here's the link...

Hack

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
Thanks Hack! No, my grandfathers generation are all gone. I was to go to the range with my friend. An ex-military guy and avid hunter and fisherman. Sadly the range was closed for a private function when we got there so no playing with the boom sticks. Thanks for the links. I'll do some more research.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
There is a stamp on the barrel, I think it may be from the manufacturer? I am not real clear on barrel stamps. I'll try to remember to post a pick. That may be some help. Cooey does make sense & it may be their mark?

·
Administrator
18,910 Posts
I soooooo desperately wanted to get to the range today, but there's just been no 'window of opportunity' in this rain.

Spent last year teaching Hack to shoot....and shoot with marksmanship skills....... .22 cal. open sites, 3-position....and Nate excelled!
I could best Him out to 50 yrds, and go toe to toe at 75....but at 100yrds it was not a 'GIVEN' He wouldn't run away from me.

Within this past, I'd say since Christmas, I have introduced Nate to shooting with optics. With 2 identical rifles, the CZ 452 Americans, and identical scopes so we could compete, and speed up the process better managing our time on the range......It became apparent He was besting me at 100 yrds. I'll give myself the credit I could hold better groupings, but he'd nail the center ring. I found the 4-7X 40's Leupolds not enough umph for my 63 yo eyes.....I was 'holding' on a blur. I could repeat my shots, but couldn't see where they were hitting till I took the walk.

I've broke from 'identical', and replaced mine with the Leupold XX II 3-9X 40........1st and last time I got to try it there were gale force winds......and after I heard the words, in a loving, respectful nature...."....uhhhh Dad.....which target are you aiming at?" We have side by side targets fastened to the same box to also add to the 'identical' aspect.

Since I couldn't again see a clear enough picture with this new scope, I couldn't tell where my impacts were.....HE COULD! :ROFLMAO: So with a little 'dead reckoning' I got my shots on paper quickly.....was holding 18" low, and 4"left....wasn't going to bother adjusting the sites in those wind conditions.
I remained on 'the paper', and more or less in the same 'area' but certainly nothing to write home to momma about since I was aiming at a point in the ground a few inches below the target, and could't see my impacts.....so was shooting by 'best guess', and placing my 'hold' on uhhhhh NOTHING?

Plant Audio equipment Fixture Gas Circle

I'm the LEFT TARGET.

And NO, this isn't posted as a 'OH look how good I am'........but as a record of our day THAT DAY...40+ mph winds 100yrds, and my quest to get on the target with 'guess work' as my aiming point. (y)😁

Well yesterday I did get a chance to adjust my new scope 'according' to measurements I see on the target, and am chaffing at the bit to go see what's what. Today sadly just doesn't appear to be THAT DAY.....

I did ask Nate to take a few shots from my rifle with the scope I was using.....,"WHAT'THE......How can you see through this thing?", was His response. :ROFLMAO:
Hack

81 - 100 of 107 Posts