The Reef Tank banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Administrator
Wood Jacket Gas Recreation Shooting

Wood Jacket Recreation Hat Leisure

Wood Recreation Glove Chair Engineering

Just because I like pictures! ("A recurring theme here I'm sure you've noticed.....I'm the one who likes taking pictures in my Family, and thus always excluded from the shots....every pun intended! 馃榿 ")

This was my Son's first exposure to the 'smaller' firearms categories. This day they ranged from .38 specials to 45 ACPs, and Hack fell in love instantly with the Colt Government 45. Which I personally never acquired a 'love' for.....just never seemed to 'fit'. But recently, though still wants a Colt, crossed over to my thinking and fell in love, and now owns one, a Browning Hi Power in 9 mm. THAT FITS!
Hack

Administrator
Since I awoke from my long Rip Van Winkle snooze to this strange new world where nothing seems the same from a shooter's point of view.......Interested in picking my Boy up His first Double action revolver. My favorite having been the Colt Diamondback in .38 special no longer being around, and a brief looking over the hoards shoulders at an overcrowded local gun shop seeing NOTHING that looks familiar any longer. Has anyone got recommendations for a 'target' double action in the 4-6" range, .38 sp, 357, or .44........something available now'a days, and can pronounce the name?
Hack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I really like my Taurus 856 ultra lite. It holds 6 is snubbed and super light so it is not really noticeable when concealed. It was only $300 new but feels like a more expensive gun in my opinion.
So I got my new every day carry yesterday! Smith & Wesson shield plus performance center double stack 9mm. Man I can't wait to shoot it!

Administrator
I'm liking the 'looks' of these Taurus's Guys......they seem to understand ordinary folks buy guns too. SW and Ruger seem to have forgotten that little detail. THOUGH the Ruger GP 100 Match Champion in .357 at $850.00 ain't completely laughed off the table. But like the economy of the Model 66, and the Model 444 Raging Bull in .44 mag has me thinking....hmmmmm, and the Taurus Raging Hunter also in .44 mag gives me a little twitch in good places.

Think I'll take a little more time looking their line over this evening.......still needing that 31 days between pistol transactions, so not till the 21st of this month can I do anything besides drool over 'wish lists'.
Hack

Administrator
I have owned a few .44 mags and while I shoot them well i always gravitated back to a .357. The cost of 44 ammo is crazy now, wasn't so bad when I could reload. I have taken several deer with my trusty old Redhawk but i don't hunt much anymore so i can't justify the expense.

Administrator
Never hunted with a hand gun. Target shootings my only experience. My personal preference has always been .38 sp. .....the .357, .44, 45 LC, ACPs, and the .454 have always been more than I could find enjoyable in a full night on the range. My little .38 specials with wad cutters were a pleasure to shoot through the evening.

Talked to Hack a little today, showing Him some of these new offerings out there......dominated with the .357's and .44's now a days. Found only one offering in a .38, the Taurus model 82 with a 4" barrel. Asked Him why He wants one......target shooting, 'looks cool', or the man thing about 'size n bragging rights'. He jumped right at the target shooting reason. COOL ON YOU PAL! He's more comfortable with the bigger calipers than I am......I've no need to 'over compensate', and just find I prefer a lighter round......I take a 9mm over a .45 acp which He loves to shoot. ("THOUGH He did opt for the Hi Power in 9mm after shooting it.")

So I have to get Him on the range with a sampling of the 3 major contenders....the .38, .357, and the .44's and see where He calls home. He's shot the .38 already, but need to try them all. I got to keep reminding myself that this time around it's His ride, I had mine. I'm only guidance. BUT there is something about shinny gun metal though.......
Hack
Doug, I haven't a clue what ammo costs now a days.....I mention range/shooting and Brother Hack just shows up with the ammo cans, and sends us home with a supply.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I love my snub .38! So yesterday I went out to run a few boxes through my new Smith 9mm... holly crap a ported barrel is exponentially louder! I had no clue it would be THAT different. It is real slick to shoot but man you need ear plugs AND muffs! I guess in a defensive shooting if I miss they will at least be flash banged for the follow up shot lol.

Administrator
馃 馃槀
HAPPY EASTER Shamas!
Hack

Administrator
Depending on what 'is available', and how it 'feels' to Hack, more than likely looking at a .357 mag. platform. IF IT FITS, it's the best of both worlds.......38 spl. for economy paper punching, and .357 mag. for the buggy man if'n he's stupid enough to stop by.
Hack

Registered
i will say guns are by far one of my favorite hobbies, just wish ammo was easier to come by. Haven鈥檛 been out shooting in almost a year because i don鈥檛 believe i can replace what i shoot to easy.

lets see
Sig p226 legion 357sig is my everyday carry
Sig p226 legion 9mm is competition pistol
Colt ar15 just because its fun
Rem 700 308 custom everything 1000 yard shooter
338 Lapua competition rifle
Then theres tons of fun guns in the cabinet.

have reloading bench but unfortunately im out of primers and havent seen any in over a year. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

Matt

Administrator
HEY MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hack

Administrator
OK, now that THAT is out of the way......HiYa Pal!

Getting back into the 'hobby' I never realized I left to help our Son now enjoy it as his forefathers have. My 2nd pistol permit became active as of today, with that ridiculous 30 days between purchases......and have till May 25th to use it before it expires.

Hack's set on a revolver this time around, and trying our darndest to find a .357 double action around here. Tick, tick, tick.....
Stop by the old Breakfast Table and pull up a chair...you've been missed.
Hack

Registered
Hey Hack. Ooooo a 357 mag revolver is a fun gun for sure. Shoots both 357 mag and 38 so lots of options to find instead of one or the other. Maybe next get little Hack a single stage reloading press for Christmas.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts