The Reef Tank banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Current occupants: 3 nassarius snails, 2 red-legged hermits, cleaner shrimp. Coral frags: Green mushroom, blue mushroom, red acan and Duncan

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here’s my dumb question of the day. I needed more flow so i bought a sicce nano powerhead. It’s a bit too strong. Can i put it on a standard light dimmer to dial in the flow? Would that work?

· Registered
9,013 Posts
Most hardware stores carry them.
Most likely require some DIY as I don’t know if they make any with a socket.
A four square box ( 4 inch square electrical box with rounded corners) a cover for a switch and receptacle, romex connector and electrical cord would do it.

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I added my fish today! It was hard to wait. But I got a pair of DaVinci Clowns. I am fully aware that they will grow too big for my tank, but they have a plethora of choices when the time comes to rehome them. Shout Out to Reeftopia, they are beautiful fish and reasonably priced. I also upgraded my lights to a Chinese kessil dupe from Amazon, and so far I’m very impressed.

I have been doing 2 30% water changes per week. Now the fish are in I’ll see if I have to step up to three. But I have to say a 30% NSW water change in a 5 gallon is soooo much easier that a 15% change was using ASW in my 110 System. I love this little tank.
Water Blue Light Organism Fluid

anemone fish clownfish Underwater Fluid Organism

· Administrator
20,836 Posts
Groovy on the fish addition Helen......always an exciting step in the hobby.
NSW is just sooooooo much easier than 'mixing' if you're blessed to have that ability.
Our stretch of the Atlantic here runs about 1.023 SG, so during additions I do have to ramp it up a bit with Instant Ocean RC. Try to keep it about 1.0255 SG

Hack

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
First big NSW challenge today. Because of this string of atmospheric river storms and there 60 mph winds, the dock is closed to the public and the saltwater pump is off. Have only 1.5 gallons on hand, enough for one water change. Thankfully I do have salt on hand for emergencies.

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice thing is that it‘s a deep-water Port, and the water pump inlet is pretty far away from the boats. The water is used for the live-fishing market to transport fish and crab long distances to tanks around the country. It should be fine. When they turn it back on.

we had a fatality this morning. One of my clowns jumped from the tank and my dog ate it before I could respond. Gotta get a lid.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,404 Posts
Oh! That stinks!!! I hate loosing fish that way. Yeah, lids are a must for sure, fortunately a nano tank is also much cheaper to get a lid for than a 110g. My little 3 gallon came with a glass lid and it works quite well, and helps to retain the heat.

I think 3 water changes a week is much more than you need, I probably do 50% monthly on my 3 gallon, and I've done less at times. I don't have fish, but I do have a bunch of sexy shrimp, and I feed the tank every other day for them.

Whiskey

21 - 38 of 38 Posts