The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! If you were around about six years ago you may remember me. I had a 110 gallon mixed reef that was my pride and joy. Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to give it up.
But I could not resist an email from Bulk Reef Supply advertising a complete pico setup for $199. So I bit the bullet. I think I’m cycled and ready to add a citron goby, a tiny cuc (I’m thinking about 5 each hermits and nassarius snails), and maybe a coral frag or two. I’ll be taking the three our trek to my “local” fish store tomorrow.
This will be interesting… I’m using NSW! Hope it works.
Would love to say hi! Especially interested in hearing from those with a pico, or those using NSW.
Helen

· Administrator
20,813 Posts
HEY HELEN! Welcome back Girl, and ooohhhhhhh there's sooooo much we're looking forward to catching up on.

I just recently, sadly lost my system due to contamination, and has me sitting on the bench for a while.....hoping a short while. But I still have a 4+ year old REEF in a JUG going.....a 1-gallon vase with Mushrooms in it that I do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO and it keeps on ticking. And I use NSW from this side of the country, the Atlantic Ocean, and have had NO ISSUES. I'm from the same camp Paul B is from, 'Mother Nature knows what she's doing.'.

Looking forward to seeing you about,
Hack

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! Here’s my first question
now that there is some life in my tank, I realized I cannot continue water changes with cold NSW as the water temp would drop rapidly. I could get a heater for the 5gallon jug of NSW and keep 5 gallons warm at all times. But I was thinking, since the changes will only be 1-2 gallons at a a time, could I simply warm the water in the microwave? My gut says it would be ok, but maybe I’m not thinking of something.

· Just some guy, you know?
40,402 Posts
Welcome back Helen!

I have a little 3 gallon work nano, with no filtration and just water changes to keep up with requirements. I change about a gallon every other month or so and I don't worry too much about the temperature. I do the change with room temperature water, around 72 degrees or so, then the tank ends up at like 74 and then comes back up to 78 over a couple hours with the 7.5 watt heater.

If you're interested in more info on the tank I have a build thread here! It recently had a revamp since I switched jobs.

Whiskey

· Administrator
61,343 Posts
I would grab NSW when you can, several gallon jugs abd store them in house, discreetly warm em op when WC time comes. Are you still in same house in PO?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts