The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Help and advice please.

Had my small 7/8g tank up and running since November, added a decent size GSP about 3 weeks ago, was open in the store and for the first day in the tank, but then closed tight and not opened since. Initially located on the bed and as I say opened for the first day, but nothing since so let it two weeks before moving on to rock nearer the lights but still nothing. Am only running the actinics at the moment for 10 hours a day, not running the skimmer that came with the tank, have instead decided on a weekly water change regime, have changed the standard return pump (200lph) for a 600lph to increase flow around the tank. Have periodically blown off any build up on the GSP with a turkey baster and tooth brush if needed. GSP still firm to the touch and looks a deep purple colour so would appear to be in good health.

Tank details -
AquaOne Nano Reef 35
SG - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-20
Phosphate - 0
KH - 10dKH
Temp - 25.1-25.8
Weekly 25% water changes

I have Rowaphos and Phosguard in the rear compartment, along with filter floss which is change every other day or when it looks excessively dirty.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT, Tony! :wavy:

You’ll want to adjust your lighting. Actinic give coral a nice visual pop but don’t provide what they need to survive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to TRT, Tony! :wavy:

You’ll want to adjust your lighting. Actinic give coral a nice visual pop but don’t provide what they need to survive.
Thanks, so would you suggest turning those off and going just white light for a while?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If your lighting just has blue and white, I would run the blue a couple hours in the morning, then both for about 6 hours then just the blue again at night for another couple hours. Does your lighting allow for dimming? Depending on the power of the light you might have to adjust it when running both. Do you know the brand and model of the light you have?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your lighting just has blue and white, I would run the blue a couple hours in the morning, then both for about 6 hours then just the blue again at night for another couple hours. Does your lighting allow for dimming? Depending on the power of the light you might have to adjust it when running both. Do you know the brand and model of the light you have?
Hi, no does not allow for dimming, it is the standard 15w MariGlo light unit that came with the tank.

I will look at the lighting schedule when I get home, I have them both on timers so can pick and choose when to have them on.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I’m not familiar with that light, but typically lighting that comes with a tank is not reef capable. Most of them are geared for freshwater tanks and are good for plants but don’t have the right spectrum for corals (they will grow you lots of algae though :p). If using both the blue and the white on together don’t help your GSP, you’ll want to look into a reef capable light before getting any more coral.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not familiar with that light, but typically lighting that comes with a tank is not reef capable. Most of them are geared for freshwater tanks and are good for plants but don’t have the right spectrum for corals (they will grow you lots of algae though :p). If using both the blue and the white on together don’t help your GSP, you’ll want to look into a reef capable light before getting any more coral.
The tank was / is a tank designed as a nano reef so the light unit is for reef, also came with a skimmer which I do not use.

Do you think lighting is the most probable cause?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when you turkey bast the GSP was there a lot of detritus that would blow up from the GSP. they need to be clean, so upping the flow on the GSP would be a good thing. they can handle a decent a mount of flow.

G~
Thanks Geoff, I have 300lph power head, should I put that in and direct its flow straight at the GSP do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts