The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I now get why we do this! I love looking at others pictures and hope you will all indulge me with some pics :) I got my first sps amonth ago and have been mesmorised with them ever since. They were all frags from friends and I am amazed at the growth in just one month. I am sure no one else in my family sees it, but I think you all can appreciate it :)

so here we go!

this was a brown buy that I hoped would color up !

I was rewarded!

1 month later
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tddetails vAlign=top align=left></TD><TD class=tddetails vAlign=top align=left>

pink pocillipora

purple digi

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Chris...
I am really testing every day with cal adn dkh so I can figure out how much the system is using so when I go on vacation in sept I dont'; have to explain.

I drop from 9 dkh to 7.6 over a 24 hour period
and calcium drops from 425-380 in about the same
ph is 8.4-8.3
temp 79.1-80.5

trying to hold at 9 and 425

as long as that stays level for the next few weeks I will have the tank sitter use the 2 part to top off daily

but as far as lights go....
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on the T5 band wagon!

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am TOTALLY convinced that it is VERY possible to do that at this point. WHen Whiskey used his lux meter we learned that I could keep sps on the sand bed... now I know why my open brains kept frying! ( He might remember numbers.) I think he said 800 something on the bottom... he was kinda mumbling tohimself at that point ;)

MY lights are about 5 in from top of the water.

Here is my set up
Manufacturer: ReefGeek
Dimensions: 46.8" x 12.0" x 2.8" (L x W x H)
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours
Item #: 104068
T5 high-output fluorescent retrofit kit complete with Sunlight Supply Tek 2 individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from 96% reflective German-made aluminum, two electronic ballasts, a power-cord and color-coded wire bundle for each ballast, moisture proof end-caps, standoffs and choice of bulbs from any of our current selection of high-quality lamps. Kit sold complete except for mounting screws. Some assembly required. Ballasts engineered specifically to run T5 high-output bulbs for optimal performance and longer lamp life. (Don't settle for inferior T5 electronic ballasts, like the Workhorse, that are commonly sold with other T5 retrofit kits.) Multiple ballasts allow for independent lamp control. Runs cool and produces virtually no noise. Warranty: 1 year.

I have the geissman bulbs but I like the loks of the color combo in my 29 better ( I used the ati for that one) It's a bit more crisp- ( blue) whatever :) the 55 is a tad bit yellow for my taste i think

·
Wrasseman!
1,835 Posts
Nice Amy your sps are growing very well. It may be time to look into a Cal RX so you don't have to worry about dosing every day.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Amy, those are great pics amd amazing coloring and growth for such a short time... I am especially glad to see that you are getting these results with T-5s because I am going to be running the 72" all T-5 14 bulb fixture from Aquactinics on my new 180 gallon...as soon as the milkshake clears for good and I get the rock in I will get the unit on the tank and take some pics...

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,684 Posts
Great work Amy!!!!!!! I knew you would do well with SPS :)

Amy said:
I am TOTALLY convinced that it is VERY possible to do that at this point. WHen Whiskey used his lux meter we learned that I could keep sps on the sand bed... now I know why my open brains kept frying! ( He might remember numbers.) I think he said 800 something on the bottom... he was kinda mumbling tohimself at that point

MY lights are about 5 in from top of the water.
Hey, Hey!

Mumbling to my self :p

Your readings were almost exactally the readings I get in my 50G that uses the same retro I reccomended for you.

On the sand bed you were getting somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 if memory serves,.. up higher it was more like 10,000-14,000 some spots higher.

I've found that with T5's that's plenty for SPS,.. but always remember, you could have that much light and bleach SPS, you could also have that much light and brown out SPS. Light and nutreants are tied at the hip, that's what makes it so hard to reccomend a lighting setup, also why SPS are tricky there's much more involved then just your light.

Whiseky

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Great pics Amy! Amazing growth! You are getting better growth than me as well. I am having little to no drop still with my Ca and Alk. Not sure why.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris, yes they are 4 normally driven bulbs,
Whiskey thanks for the numbers.

As far as the tank goes I will say that I had nitrate issues for a LOOOOOONG time after changing out the sand bed they finally hit 0 after a 6-8 month battle.

I "think" I have a dirty tank in teh fact I get algae on the glass that needs to be cleaned off every day to every other - a super light dusting... and i feel like I can always see detruis on the bottom of the tank and sometimes swirling particles in the water colum. I feed a "chunk" of blender mush every other day and have a ccss 125 that I need to empty about every 3 days - dark sludge so I am skimming pretty dry.

Thank you all for the encouragment and compliments.

I really have learned an amazing amount here on TRT! NEVER in my wildest dreams did i think i would have an sps tank a year ago! Heck I barely had water in it I was trying to figure out why these crazy reefers were cooking their rock - seemed kinda pointless to buy this rock with cool stuf on it donly to kill it on the stove :doh: yeah good thing I used the search button! cooking in reef is different than cooking in the kitchen ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts