The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I purchased some live rock today from someone who took down thier tank. I dont know how long ago It was torn down, but when I went to pickup the rock they had it in a 10gal tank with salt water running through a HOB filter. Supposedly the rock was only used in a FOWLR tank. My question is, Is it possible for the Rock to spontainiously grow any kind of coral? There wher two pieces of rock that had a few round pinkish growths that look like closed polyps. There are no stumps, they have a white, flat head screw driver like line int the middle and that is surrounded by what looks like many tiny polyp like fingers, but curled tighter toward the middle. TIA for any help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am new to the community so the site wouldnt allow a photo, so I will be posting a photo of the growth when I get my 5th post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, Thanks. Ive been searching, but I havent been able to ID it. I know I looked this morning and the one in the middle of the picture wasnt wide open anymore. After adding some salt they all shut really tight, so I know that they are some kinda of life...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, I purchased some live rock today from someone who took down thier tank. I dont know how long ago It was torn down, but when I went to pickup the rock they had it in a 10gal tank with salt water running through a HOB filter. Supposedly the rock was only used in a FOWLR tank. My question is, Is it possible for the Rock to spontainiously grow any kind of coral? There wher two pieces of rock that had a few round pinkish growths that look like closed polyps. There are no stumps, they have a white, flat head screw driver like line int the middle and that is surrounded by what looks like many tiny polyp like fingers, but curled tighter toward the middle. TIA for any help.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'll be posting another picture shortly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I forget what these are called had some in my tank was told just to let it be neither very beneficial nor harmful they are some type of polyp I believe zoanthid based

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool Thanks, I spoke to a guy at the fish store I go to and he said they were jus feaher dusters and would be fine. I am still cycling my tank and waiting for the Nitrate to come down as it is really high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts