The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much growth difference there is between 10k & 14k ? can 14k support SPS such as acro's ? how about coral color difference ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I started out with 10Ks and went with 14ks when it was time to replace the bulbs. I got much better SPS growth with the 10ks, but I was not convinced. I replaced the 14s with 12ks with much the same result. After about six months, I went back to the 10ks and thats where I intend to stay. I did not notice much difference in the color.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Par from a good 14K can surpass the growth rate of a 10k with lower par...and vise-versa... It's a big balancing act and it depends on the bulb/ballast combination.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 2x250w 14k MH-HQI 36 inches

tank dimensions are 30'' long 20'' high about 14 or 18'' wide

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sure it will grow SPS. I grew sps on my 30" deep tank with 175watt halides. But they could have done much, much better with different lights:D

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could i go with 150w & still get good growth or would it be only half as much growth as 250w ?

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh & one other thing, if a fixture just says 14k, could you still put 10k in there ? or is this a fire hazard or it just wont work or what ? do i have to stick with 14k on this fixture?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
On 20" deep you could go 150 @10K especially BB. For 14-20K I would shoot for 250 as there are more options. Yes you can swap out bulbs. I would see which ballast it's running the plug bulbs into sanjays site to see where the par falls.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
everything i know about the fixture is on that site i posted. i hate the price & its not the kelvins i was wanting. but i thought it would be best to go 250w. but if i can change out the 14k for 10k with no hazards i think it might work :) i didnt think you could do that i thought it was made only for 14k bulbs. at least thats what i was always told

i have a deep sand bed

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 10K, 12K, 14K, 20K is just the spectrum of light the bulb emits and has nothing to do with wattage. Ballasts are designed for a particular wattage (150W, 175W, 250W, 400W) and should be not used with other than their intended wattage bulb. If you have a 250W ballast, you could use 10K, 12K, 14K, etc., just so long as the bulb is 250W.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your right about that just some bulbs may not work depending on the type of ballast. The kelvin rating on the bulbs tells you the color of the bulb.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Not all ballasts will fire all bulbs of the same wattage.

·
Forever Reef
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i seen that Dr.Fosters gives compatibility of bulbs at 250w or what ever & what kelvins you can use in what ballast, select a light fixture & click '' see compatible bulbs'' there it shows all the bulbs that can be used on that ballast, Marine Depot told me a little differently, they said as long as the wattage is the same its fine

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Nope. Some ballasts are pulse start, electric, magnetic and HQI. Which will not fire all 250 watt bulbs. You have to do some homework to see what will work. Here is a good site and gives par and temp readings also once you figure out how to work it, it will help with what bulbs will fire with what ballasts as if it's not listed, it didn't work:) Don't get confused, the best par is with over driven SE bulbs on hqi ballast, which decreases the bulb life:)

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts