The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ignoring for a moment the controversy about using grounding probes (stray voltage v. current), if one were to use a grounding probe would it go in the tank or in the sump?

Because all the electrical stuff I have is in my sump, it occurred to me that it may make more sense to have the grounding probe in my sump rather than my tank. Of course, it's quite possible that all that stray voltage is making it from my sump to my tank - along with the billions of microbubbles (but that's a complaint for another day) :D

Thanks.

K.M.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i would THINK it wouldnt matter, since the sump and tank are connected via a continuous stream of water through the return pump.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I'd say to ground at the tank.... If there's a power outage, the return pump won't keep it's contact and an overflow would have "disconnected" as well... When the power returns, there's usually a surge or spike associated with it...

Jay, stop thinking... you're gonna hurt yourself.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,407 Posts
actually, BOTH, . as a electrician , i thought either place woulda taken care on stray/induced voltage, but over the years , i've a couple of instances where one is not enuf:confused: . i thought the water would "bridge" the two together, but have found out,sometimes that is not the case,,,,
just to let you know,,,:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, B_H, and Jay:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll get a second probe but put the current one in the tank for now.

Jay - good luck with the new tank. I'll post some pictures of my just-getting-of-the-ground tank soon - I think :)

K.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts