The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please plan on being a bit early to the meeting tomarrow. We can discuss trip. Also we need to collect deposit money. Bring a $100 check or something. I think the trip was $150 per person. Bring that if you want.

I have locked up a boat for 6 with TLC Charters. He needs a deposit to hold it. I am in the process of getting another boat as well for 6. They may not leave out of the same place because of the lack of charters going out there. One may be out of Savannah - the other out of St. Simmons island.

More to follow.

Also all divers email me your FULL contact info.

name in full
email address
contact numbers
anything I may need

send to

Todd Washowich
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Todd - didn't you get my e-mail?

Steve

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This just in - I need the following items:

Name (I have)
DOB
Certification Level
Personal Equipment bringing
Equipment needed to rent
Height and weight

Aslo know that most operators require signaling devices. A whistle, a inflatable bananna (that's whatI call it) etc. Make sure you have these.

Also it is good to have some sort or reflecting device. I use an old CD. The backs are great reflectors. Just stuff to think about. Saftey first.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK This is going to be the thread for the DIVE.

There will be 2 boats. One is located in Midway, GA the other in St. Simons Island. Those aren't close.

So I have decided to find a spot between the 2 for the wednesday night before. That way we can hang and have dinner or what not.

You can stay where you want to though. Also I realize that the boats being in 2 places is not ideal. But that's all there is to choose from. The reef isn't really that easy to get to unless you have your own boat apparently.

I also want to be fair on the boat you go on. I don't know anyway other than I will have my wife draw the names out of a hat and assign it that way. The boats leave at 7 AM!! be aware of that and plan accordingly.

I will be paying for the boats out of my pocket, so all payments need to be made to me personally. Also if you need air and weights, TELL ME NOW, so the boats can plan for it. It's normally $15 a tank so that's $30 or bring your own air. Weights - know the weight you need. Also remember you will need at least 7mm suit. It will not be warm. You will need a hood and gloves as well. Remeber you will need more weight most likely to sink a 7mm suit. Me it takes 18 pounds.

If you have done a bunch of freshwater dives and not alot of salt, I can tell you you will need at least 2 more pounds of weight.

See above for safety items needed.

Right now we have 9. If anyone knows who "wisesong" is get ahold of him or he is out. I will ask my dive shop if they have anyone who wants to go.

It will be $150 per person, plus any air you need, I figure each boat can bring food and drink - hit a Publix or something. BRING COOLERS.

Beer for after the dive.!!

I will post more on a hotel after I tallk to my travel agent.

Figure how you are getting there. I am picking up Eric at the airport and taking him with me. Buddy up on the rooms, Travel, etc.

Let us know when you expect to hit the area. etc. Don't be shy.tell us info here. I am not going to search all of you out looking for answers. If you need something - let me know. If I hear nothing, I am going to assume you need nothing.

Chris can you make this a sticky so I don't have to search this thread out.

More to follow.

As of now - Steve Shindell is paid in full.

Todd

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Talked to both charters. We are locked in with deposits now.
Keep in mind this is the iffy season. TLC Charters will not go with 4 foot seas or 10 to 15 mph winds. Same for the other group. Nor do I think any of us want to be there in that.

Some info - This is a drift dive. In one spot the boat picks you up down stream. In case you are wondering. They say that visability could be 20 feet to 120 feet. Just depends on weather.

The group out of St. Simons feels that 5mm is enough out there. She had someone other there recently in a 3mm. I will let use guys judge for yourselves. You are certified divers. Plan accordingly. Also they are a dive shop and have air there for $12 a bottle. So if you want that boat- let me know. It's also a shorter ride by 1 hour.

The midway point between the 2 locations is Towneshend, GA. I will find a hotel there for us. If you all agree - Good. The Pope has spoken!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bruce and Marj can't get off work due to taking an extended time off for the Solomon Islands. I will check tomorrow to see if anyone else can go.

Steve

1 - 20 of 127 Posts