The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys! So last night I had a problem with my return pump. Was doing maintenance and decided to clean up my power heads and return. Only thing is impeller wouldn't start on return. Tried to take it out, was so stuck I had to use plyers and mangled the impeller blades a bit. I noticed the problem to be very hard, grey sediment around the opening that the impeller drops into as well as the shaft of the impeller. I also have had problems with my koralias needing a "jump start" from time to time. Impeller would kind of get stuck and either wouldn't start or would run backwards. Any ideas? Whats this grey stuff? Its very hard, almost like quickcrete, actually reminds me of the stuff. I dose with BBS several times a week and kalk maybe once or twice a week. Could that be the problem? I was able to get a lot of by soaking in vinegar but not all. I notice my octopus skimmer acting funny too, maybe this build up is affecting it. Any ideas on how to prevent it or how to clean it up would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Ive noticed it before. Which additive could be the problem? The BBS or the kalk? I wonder if maybe I am doing something wrong and getting excessive sediment as it seems to be pretty bad for a 38 gallon tank with 20g sump. Maybe I just need to clean more ;)

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
that concrete stuff is usually removable with an overnight vinegar bath. I follow this up with a toothbrush/toothpick cleaning and then rinse thoroughly. Being a pump designed to hold water, they will also hold vinegar. To make sure they are rinsed thoroughly, I'd suggest running them in a bucket of fresh water for a few minutes before putting back in the tank. I usually soak my pumps/powerheads a few times a year. Just be sure you don't do them all at one time so you don't remove all of the flow at once.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i am guessing you dose Ca and alk without a test kit. if Ca levels get to much above NSW levels than Ca will start to deposits on warm objects. the most common are pumps and heaters. in general it is the pumps. this is part of the reason why i like to keep my Ca just below NSW levels. i never have to clean the pumps of Ca deposits. coral growth is fine even at 380ppm.

G~

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geoff, you hit an interesting point. Ive been reading here and there about some who keep CA above 420 for SPS and LPS. I think Ive heard you state several times 390 is sufficient -I think you said something like that ;) Ive been trying to keep my Ca above 400 up to 450. Should I let it go below 400? Would make life easier, would almost never have to dose then. I do test alk and ca regularly, always have trouble with alk above 8 but Ca isn't too hard to keep in check. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts