The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I was sifting around the net and found a nice website that in a few of the pictures, I saw people growing corals, and fish in greenhouses, Can you please tell me a little more about it, I would like to experement, I have my own greenhouse and don't really have a purpose for it, just my few plants I have that need to be dug up. The GH is 14x24. thanks, John

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Interesting concept.... but I haven't heard of or seen anybody doing it...

One of the rooms in my house has corner windows that I'm going to use to light a refugium, so I'm pretty interested in it also...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds like an aquaculture facility. This is a type of coral farming used to produce captive raised corals for the aquarium trade. Its something that could be accomplished on a smaller scale and if you are really interested you can check out Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation. This books covers various marine aquarium set-ups including a coral greenhouse. This book should give you an idea of what it would take and how to get started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but, do you think I can have a show tank in it? That would be cool if I could, then I would not have to worrie about enough light for the corals. John

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You could, but I think the cost of keeping the temp stable would outweight the cost of good lighting. Is the greenhouse temp controlled? It would be cool, and I'm sure the corals would appreciate the natural sunlight, but considering your climate it may be a tough project to tackle. I would definitely be interested in following your progress so keep us up to date if you decide to go for it.

Im sure there are other variables involved in such a set-up, but I have no experience in the matter so I cant offer any advice. I know the author of the book I mentioned above has a Q & A section about this subject @ wetwebmedia.com, you may want to check that out as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
Yup, pretty much 2/3's of what Harbor Aquatics is ,,,, is greenhouse,,,,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Geoff,

You can take care of the light levels with a shade cloth, which will limit how much light will get through. If you use a greenhouse for coral prop. you will definitely need a LUX meter to see how much sun is actually getting into your tank, and so you do not bleach out your corals.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Geoff,
I'd assume it would be an issue the farther north you go. For example, Harbor Aquatics uses MH bulbs (1k watt I believe) to suppliment the natural sun. Also, Harbor is not really growing any corals just keeping them until they are sold. They may still have a FEW small prop tanks but 90% if corals brought in and sold. Bob

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
that is what i was thinking. most of these corals can handle full tropical sun, some of them even when out of the water! there would be no way for the northern places to get that much light, unless some really cool lenses were used.:D

neat idea though. i have seen pictures of the waikiki aquarium with outdoor reef tanks lit only by the sun!

G~

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think because of the depths of our tanks, say under 30", geographical location wouldn't matter much. Sure some corals are out of the water and exposed to the sun at low tide but the same corals are also 15 + feet under water at times. I think with a shallow tank and good positioning it could be accomplished almost anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, last year I did get my cacti to put on the most growth I have ever seen on them and even bloom, without fert, they are happy, and this is in the dead of winter John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.