The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i posted on reef central but did not get much help with the problem but they tried so if you guys might have some insight please help!!! here is a pic at the bottom that is about 4 months and at the top that is what happend at about six months

josh

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
something seriously screwed up your DSB... There's a whole section on the left side that has been blown away....

If there direct sunlight on the tank?? I have only seen green algae blooms like that in freshwater tanks...

What are the parameter readings on the tank??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the sand bed was hit with a powerhead right there but it was green before i did that and no there is not direct sun on the tank.

Thanks for the fog light thing my buddy has been calling it the fog.

All levels are at zero nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and phosphates so tell me that plus when i took some water out and add just bleach to that water the green did not go away so i am lost
SO ARE THE FISH IN THERE

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Do you feed phytoplankton!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a RO/DI that i use and i do not mix the top off water with salt and if i do it is very little I feed once a day and it is not very much food at that in conparisant to what i have seen some other people feed i also have a 29 gal tank that sees about the same amount of food and the phosphates in that tank are at 0.6mg/l

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Do you use a skimmer?

Are there any power filters on the tank?

Stirring up the sand bed caused a serious reduction in it's filtering capabilities. From the looks of it, I'd say you lost about 1/5 to 1/4 of it's established capacity.

There also is not very much LR in that tank... Basically the only thing that would be a serious contributor for filtration would be a skimmer.

The algae needs to be feeding off something... You may want to look at getting another test kit because those readings and that picture just don't make sense...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i do have a skimmer with about 100 lb of rock and three different pet stores came up with same readings.

that sand bed was hit with the powrhead about two weeks after it was that green.

yes i do have a refugium and i removed all of the macroalgae out of there because some one said it ight be that but even with water changes if i leave it for two three days it starts to come back

beware of the fog

·
Registered
436 Posts
Schmitty,

Well I guess the first thing I would do is probably a 30 - 50 percent water change, and keep doing them until it clears up. So is your skimmer pulling any of this stuff out? Are all your fish accounted for? My skimmer would be overflowing with gunk if my tank was like yours. Hang in there things will work out...

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I remember someone elses tank having that problem. It was clear, then it was green, and later it cleared on it's own. It almost looks a huge phytoplankton storm. One thing you may want to do, if you can or have the desire.. take a sample of water to someone that has a pretty good microscope. I would look to see if the green is alive..if it moves, I would guess phytoplankton...if not, then algae. Just a small idea.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wow... I'll never feel bad about the algae growth in my tank again... that's just insane... :eek:
I saw over at the Brand 'X' boards (reefcentral) where somebody's daughter had put sugar in his sump, and even that didn't look as bad as your problem...
I'm clueless though as to what the cause may be... wishing you luck on figuring it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i wish i knew some on with a microscope also so i might see if it is alive or not

the skimmer is pulling all kinds of stuff out but it does not seem to be putting a dent in the FOG

plus i would like to thank you guys for helping and looking

josh

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with karsco just keep on the water changes and do them often and hopefully it will work itself out. I had a diatom bloom that was almost that bad and I had to just do water changes every two weeks and eventually they subsided.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Keep doing the water changes......over and over, after you cycle through your water by about 300-500% (over time) if you still have problems I would start to suspect that sand bed......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts