The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 12g nanocube that's been running beautifully for years. One of my favorite corals are my green star polyps. They have been doing well for a long time - two years or so - and spreading throughout the tank. Lately though I've noticed that they don't seem to be growing as much, and they're losing all their color. They now have that signature star polyp shape, but are completely white.
My guess is that this has to do with a lighting issue but I wanted to see what everyone thought first. In the tank I also have: 2 false perculas, coral catfish, tiny reef hermits, 1 narcissus snail, a few baby starfish (not the purple urchin-starfish kind), xenia, and colt coral. All water specs are fine. They're fed mysis every other day.
Thanks in advance for your help! I'll try to post pics soon...

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all you dont need to feed GSP's. They are fully photosythetic which means they get all there energy from the light. If any thing they may eat tiny copepods in the water but mysis are just to big for them to consume. your probably keeping your hermits fed though lol! This is almost definetly a lighting issue. When was the last time you replaced your bulbs? If it has been more than 10-12 months they need to be replaced. There is a uv coating on the bulbs that protects your coral from harmful uv ray produced by aquarium lighting. After about 12 months this coating starts to disenigrate exposing your coral to the rays and possibly causing coral bleaching which sounds like what you could be experiencing. If you have replaced them recently, have you made any other changes to your lighting?

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh nooooooo! See I thought it was something like this - didn't realize it would be the bulbs, just thought that all my mushrooms were covering up the GSP's light. We have had the tank a few years and have only replaced the lights once - I'll look into this right away.
Now that I know what the issue is - what kind of bulbs should I get? It's a NanoCube 12g. We've just gone with the bulbs that come standard with the tank - should we upgrade? Lighting is honestly one thing I know nothing about, so any help is appreciated!
Thanks so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts