The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a frag of Green Star Polyp from the LFS and drip acclimated for about 5 hours. It's been a day since that and it still wont open up. I tried giving it similar flow to what it had and the store. I chose this frag because I havnt had any luck with corals yet in my tank and would love to get them going and green star polyp is pretty hardy from what I've heard. Any ideas or help on why it isn't opening up?

Frag is about 4" by 3"

Nitrates 15ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
PH about 8.2
Salinity 1.0255
Phosphates less than .1
90 gallon tank

Yellow tang, 2 black edged clowns, 3 small damsels
I have T5's (2 blue, 2 white) and a fluval marine led over the tank.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Just let them be and they should open when they are settled. Corals and fish go through a lot moving from store to display tank.

Star polyps are hardy and can endure a lot of stress and parameter fluctuations.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have never acclimated a coral bought from an lfs. float for 15 min. and put them in. haven't lost a coral yet including my gsp which opened up within an hour and only closes at night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it's been about two days and a few heads open up but end up closing after awhile. Don't know what I'm doing wrong

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never acclimated a coral bought from an lfs. float for 15 min. and put them in. haven't lost a coral yet including my gsp which opened up within an hour and only closes at night.

I do the same thing. But I think I am lucky. My LFS uses nearly the same parameters I do in my tank. So I just float mine for 15-20 minutes then drop it in. Everything is healthy.

Now fish is a different story.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mine will close up for days at a time, then when it comes back it usually grows. They are just weird some times. Hope it opens up for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts