The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. I have a 120G system with 90lbs of LR, running a carbon reactor, phosphate reactor, skimmer g1x asm, fliter sock 100 micron changed every 2 days, AI sols 30 drgree opitic lenses, whites at 55% blues 75% RB at 83% with max photoperiod of 5hrs and lights on with ramping for a total of 12hrs. Have a sump with lights running 24/7 with a ball of cheato the size a football. Have one Mp40 with one Korellea 1040 powerhead in the display. Tank has been running 1 year with this system but with tranfering from another tank that was running for 1.5 years. Water params are:
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78 F
Calcium 450
Mag 1490
Alk 3.5 meq/l 7 DKH
PH 8.0
Nitrates 1ppm
Nitrites undectable
Phosphates 0.03

My delimma is that all my corals are thriving excpet ONE the green bali slimer coral. I have a Green and pink birdnest (Seriatopora hystrix), Cauliflower Coral(Pocillopora damicornis) Red orange Monti Cap, Purple Rim Cap ,Canary Porites (Porites cylindrica), Star burst Polyps, Purple Gorgonian, Yellow Button Polyps, Pulsating xenia, yellow sponge,ORA Green toadstool, Leather toadstool, Bubble coral, Brain coral Open faced, Gold tipped Torch coral, Green chalice, zoos and mushrooms, Crocea Clam, snails, 2 shrimp, emerald crab,conch snail

Alright now the on the fish I have a pair of BT triggers, Orange spotted rabbitfish, small sixline wrasse, tomato clown, male maldives anthias.

So what is wrong with the green bali slimer? I HAVE NO IDEA!! I dont know if its lighting OR water quality OR anything else under the sun that could go wrong! I just dont know with everything else doing so great I couldnt even begin to know whats wrong? PLEASEEEE HELP ME! HERE are some pictures of the tank and the troublesome coral.:bawling:

Attachments

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
I can't really tell as the picture shows multiple colors on the coral. Is the red diatoms? Dose it look like the tissue is being stripped away? Or is there still polyp extension in the lighter parts?

I'm not expert, but I experinced this with a Green Slimer frag months ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3rd and 4th picture are more true to what it looks like. The color is just white with it looks like some browning of the corals polyps there is slight extention but is deterorating worse and worse. It looks like almost mushie on one part but there is no visable bugs or stripping of the tissue.

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
It deffinately dosen't sound like normal bleaching, but more like tissue damage. Have you changed bulbs? added anything new? additives? Was it touching anything? Did you stirr the sand bed accidentally?

Hopefully someone with more experince will see this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No to the bulbs, added only something to raise ca, there is a purple rimmed monti around the base with a bunch of fliter feeder worms they spin almost like a sticky web and catch free floating paticulates, but this piece came with both of these things when i got it from someones very mature tank, the only thing that sticks out is the sand bed. I was slowly removing layers of my DSB that i didnt want anymore but didnt want to take down the tank to remove sand, I just sucked about a 1/2 in of sand each water change. I just couldnt believe my other SPS werent even phased and this one is having issues. So thats why im skeptical of water quality?
I know i like tons of feedback because maybe its something that i havent thought of!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you can I would frag a healthy piece of it and set it somewhere else in the tank till someone can help figure out what the issue is so at least you have a back up. I'm not an expert but it kinda seems like it has to do with lighting what type of lighting was it under in the tank you got it from?

·
Big Fishy
1,068 Posts
Have you had it for a while? or did it start to crash shortly after you introduced it? If it started shortly after you got it, then I would say it maybe the lighting, or flow. If it started after you removed some of the DSB then I would suspect a toxin that was released from cleaning.

I would start with a water change to remove some of the waste from the DSB that may have escaped into the water. Fragging off a piece or 2 can help save some of the coral if it's becoming that bad. From the pic it looks like there is tissue damage ( lack of polyps in bleached areas). If the bleached spots still have visible polyp extension, then I would say its not to far gone, and it may come back on its own, but you still need to isolate the problem.

Look up Rapid Tissue Necrosis in sps, if it looks similar to that condition it may be bacterial and I would try a Coral Dip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts