The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm just about to move into a bigger tank and need some help. Till now I was runing small TMC 15litres tank. I have about 3Kg of live rock in it, and few soft corals like mushrooms, xenia, zoas, star polyps and finger leather coral. Also 2 blue leg hermits, turbo, assasin snail and my beloved green mantis shrimp. Never done any water tests except salinity, never added any boosters or anything like it and everything is doing absolutely great !!! Corals are growing like mad, hermits and snails are fine and my mantis is extremely active and feeding well.

I've deceided that it's time to move everything into a bigger tank so I bought 80L tank. I'll be addind live sand and live rock and then content of my small tank. Sand and rock is coming from my friends tank as he is downsizing. Do I have to cycle new tank first before moving my content? He had hes tank runing for about 8 years now so sand and rock don't need to be cycled right? I was told at my local shop to just "do it" but I want to know if it's safe? Don't want to lose what I have !!! If water salinity and temp in new tank will be the same as I kept in my small tank can I just move it? I was thinking about slowly mixing the water in betwen the tanks like 200ml from new tank to the old one and same other way every few hours for a day or so and the simply moving the lot. Can I do it?

Also how big water changes do I need to do? I was doing 10% every 2 weeks on my small tank as I was told that amount and type of corals I've doesn't required a lot of trace elements and as long as my filter and live rock is doing its job I will be fine (and I was). Is this means that with the same bio load but more live rock and much much more water I can do smaller changes?

Any help would be great guys. Even that I did managed to keep my tank going well for over a year now i realy dont know much about it.
Simply one day deceided to buy small tank, poor salt water into it and it worked.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
83 Posts
it is possible that the new tank may experience a cycle after everything is moved and put back in place.

just to be on the safe side, i would set up the new larger tank then start doing water testing to see where everything was at.

it would be better to be safe than sorry, sounds like you have a nice tank. :)

i have a 75G tank (roughly 283 liters) with a 30G (about 113 liters) sump. lately i have been trying to cut down on my algae, so i have doubled up on the frequency of my water changes. however typically i do a 10 - 15G (about 38 - 57 liters) water change once a week.

i have a growing reef. right now a pair of percula clowns, yellow tang, and six line wrasse. along with some SPS, LPS, and softies. everyone seems happy and healthy with my water change schedule.

·
Registered
83 Posts
one last thing.

when i set up my quarantine tank i did something similar to what you're describing with the water switching. i would take water from my main tank and replace it with fresh saltwater.

then i would take the old water i had just drained and pump it in to my quarantine tank.

that combined with using probiotics, small amounts of sand from the main tank, small pieces of LR, and some macro-algae, helped cut the cycle to nearly nothing for the QT tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts