The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my green brittle star is not hanging around under rocks instead he is hanging on top of rocks and moving around the tank a lot during the day. I did just check my calcium and it was pretty low could this have been the cause of the wierd behavior?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
fwiw, i feed my green brittle....DAILY.

i buy squid and sea scallops, chop them into slices about 1/4" wide and 3/4" long. pretty big pieces, but then my brittle is about a foot across now too.

but, he's never messed with a fish yet, and stays under therocks in the daytime. cruises the tank at night.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neon golby

i think it has already eaten my golby it disappeared. My tangs are missing it, it was such a good cleaner the tangs waited in line to be cleaned each morning. i have tryed spot feeding my tangs are aggressive fish and they steal it away from him, he has been eating myh hermits and turbos also.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
when i spot feed, i hold the food in my hand, and wait for him to come take it, and get a firm "wrap" on it with and arm. it'll then dissapear under the rocks and eat it.

my hand and arm in the way, are usually enough to keep the fish at bay, until he has taken the food in.

hopefully trying this could work for you as well

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
when i spot feed, i hold the food in my hand, and wait for him to come take it, and get a firm "wrap" on it with and arm. it'll then dissapear under the rocks and eat it.

my hand and arm in the way, are usually enough to keep the fish at bay, until he has taken the food in.

hopefully trying this could work for you as well

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Maybe I'll try squid and sea scallops! Not much phosphate in that! ;)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
If you buy "people seafood" be sure to rinse them well - because they WILL contain a lot of phosphate, the food industry uses a lot of preservatives on seafood.

Jenn

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
:eek: Phosphate Phosphates everywhere!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tanks for your help, I have a black brittle star also but I never see him much just a leg every now and then. I will try making sure he gets food and see if this helps

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
A black one! Cool!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
tangcrazy said:
tanks for your help, I have a black brittle star also but I never see him much just a leg every now and then. I will try making sure he gets food and see if this helps
these are great to have in the tank, i have one way over 12" across. they have a very small central disc. not able to eat the larger prey that the GBS can. the black ones generally just hang an arm out in the water column and catch small pieced of food that hit it or lands near it.

G~

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea my wife did not believe he was in the tank, because she never sees him then one night I went in the livingroom with a flashlight and he was out, Libbly jumped out of bed and came runnung to see him. He is really kool.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Green brittle stars need to be target fed and as they grow they need to be fed accordingly! Keep them happy and your inhabitants will be safe and happy as well!:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that was the problem, I have been hand feeding him and he is back under the rocks and not roaming all over the tank. He is not hanging off of the rocks. thanks for all your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts