The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been setup up since the beginning of July. It was a transfer from a 38 I had.
Over my 38 I had 20k bulbs and over my 65 i have 10ks that i just put in about a week ago.
I have to clean my glass daily because ofthe algea growth. I wouldnt mind but it is a disgusting green color. The walls are green, the grey calcite sand that i have is green alll my LR is green its not very pretty to look at.
I could seee if it were because of phosphate but my tank has none.
I never had any of this problem in my 38.
Why is this happening. Do i need more flow more clean up crew? Is this only a stage in my tank? I already had the brown algea outbreak then i battled some hair algea and now this is over running my tank.
I have a 300 gph filter a cpr bakpak with a rio 800 and another aquaclear 70 pushing air over across the sandbed.
My cleanup crew consists of mostly hermists with some snails and a queen conch.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi Rob! You need to export more waste more efficiently. That could mean more water volume / less fish, bigger and more efficient skimmer, and possibly more water movement. You also may want to try keeping your alkalinity up around 10 and your pH around 8.3-8.4.

Although you may have low phosphate, you may have dissolved organic compounds that are providing food for the algae when they break down into nitrate, phosphate, etc..

Also, you could try decreasing your photoperiod slightly for awhile just in case this is a temporary algae bloom that occurs in all young tanks. C02 is also required for algae to grow prolifically. You might want to open a window to eliminate any excess C02 that could be lingering in your home. Uptake of C02 is also accomplished via corals (or really the zooxanthellae in their tissues) via photosynthesis during the day which is why pH is higher in the day than at night. You might try stocking more corals in your tank....empty tanks can not export C02 since no photosynthesis is occuring except in the nuisance algae!

The last thing you might consider is adding a hang on refugium to uptake C02, nitrates, and phosphates...sorta like a waste sponge.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Lights, PAR, etc.

I agree with CJ. Compared to 20K, 10K bulbs put out a lower color temperature (more yellow, less blue) but a higher overall PAR (photosynthetic available radiation) within the useable frequency band corals need for photosynthesis.

This extra PAR may be offset by either decreasing your photoperiod or raising the lights higher from the water surface. Given you had no algae problems with the 20Ks, this is a reasonable "first step" to take. Remember though, changes should be made slowly to avoid stress to the inhabitants in your tank.

Your new lights are stronger than your old so the extra PAR may be helping along the possible issues Chuck mentioned. There is a food source somewhere for the algae...
<O:p</O:p

Is it a film or hair type? <O:p</O:p

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

After adding more flow via a maxijet 1200 my green algea has gone down huge. It does not grow on the glass anymore. As for the substrate it is still fairly green but has only got better. I added more hermits to try and take care of that for me. Im hoping in a few weeks it will all be gone. The LR is still somewhat green to obut in the last few days or so my coraline has been starting to go crazy there are tons of spots where the rock is start to turn shades of purples and pink. Actually the back glass is starting to grow coraline. So everything is looking up. Hopefully in a few months i will have a nice purple/pink tank.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh NOOOOO

Just when everything seemed to be going better, the hair algea started to go away and now its back and with red slime. I dont understand this i never had this problem in my old 38g.

My new skimmer is on the way since then i have added 2 maxijet 1200s with one pointing over the sand bed. I am also currently looking for a HOB Refugium. I been running phosgaurd even though i havent been showing phosphates and performing 10% weekly water changes. I also have only been keeping my lights on for 7 hours a day till the algea started to disappeared. I have added another dozen hermits. Im running out of ideas to get this algea problem under control.

Any other options?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts